I Would've Never Thought That This Would Ever Happen

There's a boy that I'm faintly acquainted with who's always smiling, always laughing, always joking around, and always with friends.
He doesn't necessarily have all the best grades but the teachers find him funny, some like him.
He's laid-back. He goes to parties with his friends. He has a girlfriend and all of his friends love him. Everyone knows his name.
Today I found that that same boy, the outgoing boy everyone knows and loves, has been diagnosed with a brain tumour.
I read it on his status on Facebook and I sat there staring at it while my heart plummeted to my stomach and stayed there. Soon I began to think of his family, his friends, his girlfriend, his siblings, his family. I thought of the people who didn't know him too well but saw him around in the halls. I thought of him.
This, readers, is what I call a ripple effect and it has truly pried my eyes open and shoved the importance of happiness in my face.
Today I read something and it flipped a switch somewhere in my head. And it triggered my disbelief and sympathy. Momentarily I was stunned and glued to the bed I was lying on. I had stopped chewing on my Ritz cracker and the music I was listening to, I couldn't even hear it.
I've decided what my New Year's resolution will be. It's late but I have no care about that. All I know is that I'm gonna do what his goal is.
Live life to the fullest.
You've surely heard that at least once in your lifetime. If not, there it is.
I've been thinking a lot lately and I've realised that I haven't been doing just that. I've been sitting inside most of the time, reading things I'll most likely forget in the future and neglecting my responsibilities and ignoring my stories and spending too much time thinking of what I could have said to a girl on my last day of school instead of crying about what she said to me. I've been dwelling inside the building called "The Past" and I need to book a reservation at "The Future" before the opportunity passes me by, before it's all booked and there's not enough space for my mark.
Reading about things that can change your life, change everyone's life, shakes you up until it's sure that you've a concussion.
I can't come close to explaining what I'm thinking or how I'm feeling right now. The only thing I can say is that I've been missing out.
I don't know how I'm gonna start my belated New Year's Resolution, but I hope that the day I walk into my new school, I'm keeping my head high, not caring about how stupid my uniform looks on me or how cold it is outside, and setting a clear path on making new friends, getting good grades, and being genuinely happy for the first in a long, long time.
I'm young. I know that I don't have issues that are entirely life-changing like some others do and I know that my life is pretty good and that I've been dancing along the line of being a simple, hormone-raging teenager and being a stupid character I've been imagining myself as in another one of my entirely futile, teen stories.
The news has hardly set in and I'm gonna be writing a lot of pointless things (not here, though) until I begin to grasp my handle bars and peddle my way through my thirteen-year-old cloudy ideas.
I just can't wait until July.
April 21st, 2010 at 05:46pm