Experiences

Blurs and drip-drops. It was only a few weeks ago when it dawned on me that the rain built on surfaces aren't blurry drops. It wasn't too long ago for me to realise that street lights were not blurred yellow circles. My blurry vision has been corrected and with it, many things that were previously blurry, but to me - normal, have become sharpened in ways I found utterly unbelievable. Do we live in a blurry world? A world that hides it sharpness and edges by softening the corners into blurs? Are we meant to use a pair of glasses to see things for what they really are? Perhaps these glasses are better known to us as experiences. Our experiences - aren't they our glasses to life? When you encounter something with a past experience, don't you allow yourself to see it for it really is as opposed to what you thought of it before, without prior experience? It's not necessarily a negative thing, although when I first made the connection, I admit that I focused only on the negative experiences. It isn't until you have been betrayed that you are careful with people, and there you have your experience as your glasses. But in all this negativity, I strive to discover the benefits, the pros, the advantages of experience. Experience builds you. Sure we are more careful with people, but when we find someone really worth our time, experience tells us that it is a rare occasion and allows us to love. I think it is extremely difficult to soften a surface that has weathered and roughened up. In much the same way, I feel the same problem arises in warming a heart that has grown cold. I wish a reminder was given to always take care of surfaces and hearts and that way, nothing would ever turn to shades of grey. As I write this, I wish to always remember that experiences may come with the weight of inconsideration and tears, heartbreak and betrayal, loss and regret, they will only stay locked in our hearts if we choose to shut the door and block the route from which they entered. It is essential to keep the doors open, to allow all - the sunlight, the rain, the cold, the wind, the breeze. And so we will grow with the seasons and use our experiences to form our expectations to know what each season will bring.
April 28th, 2010 at 07:57pm