Bone Marrow and Lilies

People have seemed to be very interested in hearing what life is like living in and out of the oncology ward, and being pricked with needles, hooked up to machinery, and eating jelly day in and day out.

Obviously, everyone in the place would rather be home, instead of seeing all the sick people being shipped in, and sent down. Three people have passed on while I've been here in the past couple of days. I only knew one of them. Her name was Anza, and she willed me her dog after we spent thirty six straight hours talking about everything. She said if we got out of this place, with brains that hadn't turned to mush, we'd get working on the Bucket Lists we'd written. She was twenty-one years old when she lost her battle to cancer. She owned a head scarf in every color. She was bald, and beautiful, and she lightened up my life that much more, having only had the privilege to know her for a few short days.

I remember on day two here, the doctor's told her she finally had a person willing to donate bone marrow. It was a perfect match for her system, and it was the only reason she hadn't died that day. When her donor came in to visit her, my heart nearly exploded. My twelve year old sister, Vera, handed her a bouquet of lilies, and smiled.

These two give me hope... <3

1.) Who gives you hope?

2.) What would be the top five on your bucket list?
i. Meet the real-life, perfect match for my fictional characters.
ii. Change someone's life, and let someone change mine.
iii. Forgive myself for spending so much time focusing on the shadows of the everyday.
iv. Walk the same path my great-aunt did at Auschwitz, and hear the whispers of those who didn't survive.
v. Spend all my life savings on funding for new cancer research, helping to save people the way I have been saved by so many others.

3.) Tell me the one thing on the front of your mind.
You know how right before you sneeze, you can almost smell it? I've been smelling a sneeze coming for the past hour, but it's stuck :(
May 11th, 2010 at 03:32am