My Favorite Fantasy Cliches.

It’s no mystery that I adore the fantasy/adventure genre, whether it be in movies, games, books, animation, I just can’t get ENOUGH of the genre. I was always into magical worlds full of knights in shining armor and powerful reality-warping sorcerers and enchanted creatures. However, as with all genres of any medium, it has its share of cliches. Now, cliches AREN’T a bad thing necessarily. Cliches can be either bad or good depending on how they are written or used. Now, there are many cliches in the fantasy/adventure genre, that many people either loathe, or they simply find them tiring. However, there are some cliches that I personally ENJOY. Can they be written or used terribly? Of course! So, as I list my favorite cliches within the genre, we are going to assume if they were written well.

1. The farmboy/peasant/whatever becoming the hero/chosen one/whatever.
This is the one cliché I’ve heard MANY people gripe about. I can certainly understand, as it can come across as being unrealistic unless it’s pulled off really well. Even if you do, it’s going to make some people cringe. Personally, I LOVE this cliché. I don’t know, but maybe it’s wish fulfillment, but I always enjoy seeing ordinary people climb to greatness, where they are revered and worshiped as a great hero. I guess it’s because I’ve always wanted to be a “Luke Skywalker” or a “Frodo Baggins” and become something more. Unfortunately, in this world, unless you are inherently great, it’s nigh impossible to BE great, sadly. So, it looks like I’ll forever be just another face in the crowd…

2. Class Good vs Evil Stories
This is another one that makes people cringe unless written well. Again, it’s usually pegged as being unrealistic, because “good” and “evil” have no REAL definition and is totally dependent on one’s view. Don’t get me wrong, I understand the appeal of morally gray stories, and it’s not to say I don’t enjoy them, But I LOVE good vs evil stories. I LOVE seeing the forces of good triumph over evil. This…Is actually sort of hard for me to explain why I like this cliché so much other than “it’s a classic.” I suppose again, it’s wish fulfillment. I’d LOVE to live in a world, where evil bastards and conniving jackasses will never win and where good and righteousness will always prevail.

3. The Damsel in Distress
Okay, I honestly don’t hear TOO many people complain about this outside of raging feminists. But, as a kid, I’ve always had a fondness of “the knight saves the princess from the dragon and wins her love” kind of tales. Plus, AGAIN, wish fulfillment. If only women were that easy to win over.

4. The Gruff Dwarven Character With a Scottish Accent and Large Beard
Maybe it’s from playing World of Warcraft back in the day, but I always thought Dwarves were awesome.

5. A Long, Perilous Quest to Save the World
Again, this annoys some people, but I personally enjoy reading about a band of heroes who must travel long distances wrought with peril and danger around every corner in order to save their world from whatever evil force happens to threaten it. Plus, as a story-telling device, it allows the writer a chance to show the reader the world that they have created. And, coming from a guy who enjoys thinking of imaginary worlds and places, I’m particularly fond of this cliché. Plus, I’ve always wanted to go on an adventure, I mean, who hasn’t thought of exploring the world around them?

This concludes my entry on some of my favorite fantasy cliches. Again, I realize that they can be poorly executed and badly written, so, again, this is asuming that they are written well. I hope that made sense. And I would love to hear your opinions on some of your favorite or most despised elements of the fantasy/adventure genre.
May 20th, 2010 at 04:38am