A Rant on Psychologists.

So... Why do so many people have problems with psychologists/psychiatrists?

I mean, I aspire to be a psychologist. I'm not sure what field... But I'm even considering school counseling.

But... so many of my friends I've told this are like: "Ew, I hate psychologists." or "Therapists don't really help at all."
Some of my friends have genuinely been to psychologists, and didn't exactly have the best experiences. I understand that much.
But some of them have never even met a psychologist! The stereotypes have grown so out of control, and I just don't understand it!
Can anyone enlighten me?

I get not wanting to be friends with a psychologist, under the presumption that they'll analyse your every move, and magically think they know all about your personal problems. I don't do that. For the most part, my friends know that and support me. But more than a few people have pretty much run away from me.
It's a habit of mine to sort of pick up on other people's habits. I easily start to notice what sort of mood they're in based on what they do.
But a psychological analysis? Really? I haven't even taken any courses in psychology, I wouln't know where to start!

And the classic complaint that psychiatrist's don't help. I really don't see where that's coming from! Therapists and such are meant to help you realise what you have to do to improve your life, meant to help you realise your problems and such. They aren't meant to magically "fix" you. That's impossible!

Ergh! I'm getting frustrated now... I suppose I'll leave it at that before I explode.

Can anyone enlighten me? I don't get why these stereotypes have emerged!
May 25th, 2010 at 06:29pm