The Passing of Paul Gray

Paul Gray’s passed away. Man, I only just found out and I did not see that one coming. Could anyone have predicted that? Wow.

I don’t really know how to react to this, I mean I like Slipknot, but I wouldn’t ever claim to be a big fan of them. I only know a handful of songs and I doubt I’d even like them if it wasn’t for some of my friends. But when someone dies, does it matter how well you knew them, or knew of them? I suppose in some ways it does, you can’t grieve for a stranger the way you can for family, but you do feel bad whenever you read or hear about someone dying.

I haven’t had a big reaction to his death; no tears or anything like that, unlike when Jimmy died. But I’m saddened for his family. I’ve read that his wife was expecting a baby, and now that child will have to grow up without his/her dad being there. It’s not fair. Life’s not fair.

I only know two proper Slipknot fans: a guy at my school and my bus driver (I don’t exactly know him but he’s the guy driving me to and from school – always wearing a Slipknot shirt). Except for yesterday. Yesterday he wore an Iron Maiden shirt, at the time I didn’t think much of it, but could he of purposely not worn Slipknot. He was in a bad mood yesterday as well, which makes me think that he’s heard the news.

The guy at my school, who’s a slipknot fan, really likes them. They’re his favourite band, so I know he’s going to be gutted, putting it lightly.

To end this I want to send my wishes to his family, his friends, the band and any fans out there that have been grieving. I hope that they’ll keep writing music, but after times like this I imagine it must be hard.

Rest In Peace Paul Gray.
May 25th, 2010 at 09:02pm