I finally gave in and got myself a bird. (Picture within!)

So you all probably know my girlfriend, G, has six birds -- although really only three are entirely hers. The finches were her mother's idea, and the African Gray is much closer to being her mother's bird than hers. She has no such excuses for the cockatoo, the conure and the parakeet, though. Anyway, I grew to love these birds over the course of the last year, and I started doing some research... so yeah, now I have a cockatiel who's officially mine.

Image

She's a whiteface pearl, about three months old, we're about 80% sure she's female, and her name is Ada Lovelace. She's a real sweetheart -- G clipped her nails and evened out her wings on her first night with us, and she thrashed a good deal but never once bit. She's a baby, and their balance isn't very good, so she's always falling off my shoulder, looking around and making a noise sort of like the baby-bird equivalent of a cricket -- G tells me this means "hello, I'm here! Mom, come find me!"

She had her first shower this morning -- it was so cute. She closed her eyes and moved her head forward into the spray and enjoyed it for a bit, and then she sneezed and glared at us, because clearly it was our fault she got water up her nose. Then she demanded we fluff her feathers up so she could dry off properly.

Do you all have birds? Tell me about them! :D
June 5th, 2010 at 10:18am