Decor Noctem

In Latin, "Beauty By Night"

It's kind of odd, how people look to find beauty in the day. Sure, there are flowers and such, but most of the beauty you see in the day is the mortal kind. By that I mean, is it's the beauty with a lifespan. Flowers are found in the day because they need the sunlight to live. Most animals keep their wanderings to daylight hours, because it's for survival. At night, no one goes looking for flowers, or animals--not the beautiful kind, at least. At night, though, there lies the immortal beauty. Such as the reflection of the moon off the water. That's something that won't ever go away. Sure, the water can dry up, but the reflection could be seen on the smallest damp rock, I'm sure, or even a tiny puddle. At night, you hear sounds you think are beautiful. Yes, the animal making them is something mortal, but the sound isn't something you can kill. At night, you rely more on your senses, other than sight. You go to lie beneath the stars, and for a while, you keep your eyes trained on the pinpoints of light, but eventually, they close, and it's up to your other senses to take reign. The smell of damp grass, the feel of water droplets on your fingertips, the sound of some little soul rustling the trees, or the leaves. The taste of cold air on the tip of your tongue that makes you feel like you just chewed on a mint leaf. These little things can't be appreciated in the day. People take the night for granted, accrediting it as a sanctuary for the things we refuse to see. The shadow in the corner, wraiths, and what have you. If people were more willing to focus on what was there versus only what they think is there, I'm sure they would think otherwise. Maybe it's just me, because I'm so used to being awake at night, but I find nothing more beautiful than sitting outside, away from the streetlights, with my shoes off, feet nestled in the grass, leaning back on my hands and watching the sky. Clearing my head of all unimportant factors, the trivial ones, and just thinking about someone I care about, reciting past words and conversations in my head. It's as if the night whispers them back to me, trying to lull me to sleep, but you have to stay awake, because the night is something fleeting.

Maybe I'm just rambling, but today I feel peaceful, more contemplative.
June 8th, 2010 at 09:41am