What I learnt from reporting stories.

For the past few days, I've started reporting stories. Not in the "I'll report every story for some stupid and unfounded reason just to annoy people", way, I should point out. I only reported the stories I could find recurring problems with, either with grammar rules or site story rules.

One time, a story I'd already reported the day previous came up again on the update page. Out of curiosity, I clicked on the newest chapter. Lo and behold, there was an incredible rant in the author's note section about how they'd been reported and "Why'd they do that" and "They could have just told me instead of f*****g reporting me".

So I started checking up on every story I'd reported if it came on the update page again, to see whether this was an isolated incident. For the most part, it was; most didn't mention it or only did so in a passing way. Some had sought beta-readers or edited themselves since the previous update. But there was the some who went completely overboard in negative reactions.

One story I reported had a follow up author's note telling me I should get a life and suck their...well, you can imagine the rest. A fair few had rants similar to the one above, one author hoped I choked, another said I was a pathetic idiot, another said I was a worthless piece of **** who hadn't read past the first two lines, one or two said they would not continue the story if their story was reported again.

Leading me to my first two conclusions:

One-People think their story being reported is the end of the world.

Two-A lot of people react to being reported very badly.


"Reported" does sound like a scary ominous kind of thing, if you don't know what it is. So let me clarify: ALL that being reported means, currently, is that SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE on the site, THINKS that there's SOMETHING wrong with your story. It currently goes no further than that.

All that's suggested that you do is check your story for errors, then message an editor to help you out. Is this compulsory? No. Is this the end of the world? No. Is this a threat on your stories or a smear on your writing skills? No. Will it mean you'll be banned or suspended? No. Is it part of a large conspiracy to spite you? No.

Does it mean you have to rewrite your entire story right away or evil android robots will come, carry your story off the update page, and then digest it into the seventh circle of oblivion with their cold feely tongues? No.

Do lots and lots of people get reported for false things? Judging by journals, etc., yes. But reports can be seen by editors, as well. And if this was somehow a surprise to anyone, editors aren't mindless. So when their system is back up and running (Which it isn't at the moment, adding to the 'nothing will happen if you're reported' idea), they'll be able to use common sense to decipher the real reports from the fake ones.

If you've been reported for plagiarism because you've posted your own story on another site, they'll see that.
If your story's in English and has been reported for the wrong language, they'll see that.
If it's obvious to you that you've been reported for some batsh*t fake reason, it will be obvious to them as well.
If your story has been reported for a valid reason and you don't know what to do, they can help you fix it (As well as the many beta-readers on the site).
If your story has been reported for a valid reason, but you just don't feel like changing your story, for whatever reason? That's also fine.

So to everyone who has ever overreacted slightly about getting reported:
Chill. The Hell. Out.

There's no need to go crazy. People who hit the report key DO NOT DO IT to spite you; just like people who give you story comments with crit in them aren't trying to get you down, but trying to help you improve. If you don't wish to do so, that's fine as well. Just don't flip out at someone who was just trying to help you out. There's no need to go on huge vehement rants just because you've been reported.Unless they are being a major douchebag while they're going about it. But even then; high road's a very lovely place.

And that's why I'll still be reporting stories. Because I'm not doing it to be annoying; I'm doing it to try and help out.
Plus, I'm unemployed and have a 13-week holiday before uni starts up again. Until I get a job? I really have nothing better to do.

PS; Do the rants described above seem somewhat familiar? Do you think I've reported one of your stories in the past few days? If I see someone's not taken well to being reported, by me or anyone else, I try and make sure not to look at any more of their stories. I'm not looking to grievance you, and I'm not looking for grief. Just lookin' to help out.
June 17th, 2010 at 08:21pm