Moving On...

Okay, let's get this out simply: I will not be posting anymore original fiction or poetry on Mibba once War Drums is complete.

I have decided to not complete Sparrow on Mibba.

Now, if you don't care for my reasonings, you should stop reading now because, as always, I'm delving into the root of the problem causing me to leave.

I know it's stupid to even expect a site that is dominated by fanfiction to fully appreciate original fiction. I only have 4 chapters of Gypsy up and it has more readers/subs/commenters than either of the stories that matter (War Drums and Sparrow, as well as many short stories and poems). I find it sad when people claim to be writers when all they do is read other writers works and refuse to leave a comment or post a stupid, short, unhelpful comment. Maybe they don't feel the same as I do, maybe they simply are little writing machines and can produce a good story out of no where, but I actually have to work to make my writing what it is (and even then, what is on this site is far from the final copy of my works). I can't "Update! Update! Update!" when you leave me a comment saying ONLY that. I need and want your feedback and shouldn't have to pull it from you like I'm stitching your hands to the keyboards; I'm not your puppet master. I know several authors on here who are extremely underrated. And it's not just because they don't get comments or subscribers on their works, it's because their works wouldn't have even been glanced at if they weren't fan fiction. It upsets me to see their work basically made a joke by poor comments and a failure to actually leave insightful feedback. Writers who do this are NOT writers. Even if you leave a simple sentence saying what you liked the most about it, what's working/not working, or pointing out grammatical errors, I'm sure those who are going through my situation would appreciate it as much as I would.

I debated even posting Sparrow in the first place but decided I would to make it easily accessible to feedback. I now know, in hindsight, that I should have listened to my worries. While I don't have to worry about it being stolen because, honestly, it's not fanfiction, I do find that I only get good feedback from 3 or 4 people out of the 11 subs that I have. I'm sure this is common for most people, even active fanfiction writers, but I find it extremely irritating. Sparrow means a lot to me, and I think only 2 people actually realize the hell I go through trying to write it. The same goes for War Drums; I've grown attached to it.

As I said above, I will be taking Sparrow down very shortly and will only post the 2 chapters I already have pre-written before I do so. I will finish War Drums, but I'll be taking it down about a month after it's finished to edit and re-write certain areas/characters.

I left a site called Elite Skills and joined Mibba thinking that it would be a great community for my writing, but have grown to realize that all it is doing is hurting it AND me. I might post the occasional poem, but that's it. I'm not even sure if I can finish Gypsy, fanfiction is not easy for me to write, but I'll do my best.

I'm sorry for upsetting anyone, but it's time to be serious.

On mibba 1 out of 7 readers will leave a comment, on Elite Skills, 8 out of 10 will comment with deep insight. I will be moving back to Elite Skills if I discover that it's not a dead site (it was the only place I've ever been where people actually care about each others' writings. If it is dead, I'll finish my stories and post them on a free-license writing site for unsigned writers to be found and published. On this site, you post fully written stories, get feedback for them, and if they become popular enough, the owners of the site will find you a publisher (thank you Mr. Collins; you won't read this but, thank you). If anyone is interested in either of these sites, tell me.

Peace,
-Scratch
June 27th, 2010 at 10:37am