Writing

I've been asked frequently about my ideas, and how I manage to continue writing new things all the time. Going through my story page, I have about twenty stories or so, ranging from one-shots [I'm addicted to contests], and long stories, whether songfic, fanfic, or original. I love them all! So let me start, shall I?

First off, I began writing when I was about 12. Before that, I spent all my time reading. And you have to understand this:: I've been homeschooled since I was 10. My awkward preteen and beginning teen years were spent at home, where I began first with reading stories, then grabbing a notebook to write down my thoughts, to turning my thoughts into parts of stories.

Also, one of my main problems is, I hate endings. Not all of them, I swear... But I read so much, and so many endings bothered me, that I started trying to write my own story that was similar to it, but with a different ending. Well, that's close enough to copyrighting, plus it was all crap. About there, I began my 'dark years' of a [FAILED] punk teen. I started writing poetry, and that ranged until....well, it's faded out. Both the poetry [though I still write it occasionally], and the punk thing kinda...just....yeah. It got boring. :) Anyways, I'm rambling. It's what I'm best at. Okay, uhmmmm my stories.

I started on quizilla, writing something that everyone was writing. To my shame, it started with Daniel Radcliffe [I will never forgive myself], turning to Harry Potter, to the Marauders [kinda faded, but I still have two stories going, haha], and that's gone on to fanfic and original.
Guys: the only reason I ever wrote any fanfic, wasn't just because they were cute and famous. It was... I'm so ashamed... a media ploy-thing. I used them to draw people in. It started with Nick Jonas. I had an idea that no one had used, and so I put him in the spot and that urged people to start reading, and so on... And you can see I haven't stopped. But eventually, I do plan to publish my stories after turning them original.

Key Point: lots of time. Not many real friends [and the ones I do have, are homeschooled. So that explains something haha] Lots of movies. Lots of books. Time, movies and books and strange friends have helped me for the past 8 years to get where I am now. It didn't just turn up one day, I swear.

Now thoughts on my latest story, They Call Me Crazy. It's my favorite, and I'm glad if you've read it. I just reread all the comments I've received, and all those who have done so are the people who continue inspiring me to update :) Also a note for this story: I'm not writing the chapters ahead of time. I skim the last chapter, sort a few things in mind, and then open a new chapter. [and NO i'm not telling anyone they should do this. They should do whatever works for them. Me? I just don't like planning things out too much anymore. I used to be insane about that, but when I did, nothing ever really flowed]

My sister, morality is writing a story on here, I'm At Home In The Clouds. I have to admit, that's what spurred me. That story includes Chris Drew, with a girl who has schizophrenia. We're both really intrigued by mental disorders, always stewing if they're really 'diseases' or ways that media messes with us, or a certain way some minds are wired.

So the chapter about all her phobias? I came up with that idea writing that chapter, wanting to classify her 'insanity' issue. Because people can take their problems and construe them in many ways. I've been told that I slowly revealed her character with each chapter. I'm very grateful for that, but you should know it's because I grabbed Maddie, and slowly formed her mold more with each chapter.

Create your character! Mold it. Nice? Sarcastic? What makes them so different? Why are they different? How do they react to certain people? Are they funny? Are there exceptions? How do they deal with emotions? What are their secrets? What sets them apart from other characters?
They have to be a part of you, the characters that you write. Maddie? Well, she's cute and random. Same goes for me- I'm short and I hang out with people younger than me all the time. And I have the strangest dinner conversation [just ask me about dead bodies making noises and cockroaces coming out of tongues!...no seriously....my appetite never dies]. My personal character is something I'm always working on. I surround myself with things I love, people I love. Just about everyone I know can imitate me or say 'that is so you!' because well, I guess I'm just... obvious? [Kind of sucks I can't surprise people, but at least I get good birthday gifts! hahaaha]
So that's what you do with your character. My sister wrote a story about a girl who goes through a traumatizing past and is really tough to hide her emotions. She went through some identy problems, my sister, and wishes she was that tough. So she used her character to show what she wishes she could be.

Garrett was pretty easy. He's the cute, awkward guy who I wish I had in my life. I'm trying to pull parts from his real character, and that'll progress with time. But I grabbed what I know of him, and have evolved it into my own Garrett. [I love the sound of that]

John was easy, as well. I mean, who doesn't want that easy, older brother? I have older sisters, one who I really don't get along with. She went to college and became more of a partier. She loves crowds and I don't. She loves attention, I love writing. She doesn't know what to do with her life and I have too many things I want to do with mine. So I changed John into who I really wanted. Unfortunately, the problem may come, that it's not really his character. That's the problem that comes with doing fanfics. But hey, whatever works, right? No ones complaining.

So yeah.

Writing Maddie's story is hard. But my favorite thing to do, is lie in bed at night, staring out my window. I don't sleep well, so I'm usually up late, just gazing out, and I put my mind to work. I write it out in my mind what could happen, next or soon. Good? Bad? Traumatizing? What kind of event? Who's there for it? How does it effect everyone? So I start writing it out...

Example and sneak peak:

Event: Maddie tells Garrett he's perfect
Place: haven't figured it out, but it will come as I work on it
People: Maddie. Garrett. Gabriel.
Reactions:
Maddie's curious and confused and worried- why is he so great? Garrett stares, and bursts out all his worries, all his imperfections. It really is distressing, and he starts to tear up. Maddie gets very sorry she asked and wants to fix it. Hands Gabriel over to him, to show he can do it. Gabriel smiles, pats his tears, and gives a slobbery kiss that makes them smile.
Wording:

I'm tapping my foot. Tap, tap, tap. Tapping is distracting but it's not distracting enough. Why? I don't get it. I keep looking up, up at his face. Really nice face, and he shaved today. I smile for no reason, and shift Gabe's weight. Growing babies are heavy, and I'm not that tall. Will I get taller? I don't think I'll be as tall as Garrett. Especially Johnny. No...will Gabe? I wonder. What if he gets to be taller? That's just silly. But he might. I don't want him shorter, when he's all older...older. Strange. I bite my lip and look at Garrett again. I can't look away. I don't want to. Why should I?
He catches me looking and my face burns. I shouldn't have looked. But I can't stop. Like- like an addiction, that's what it is. Like Gabe. I want them both so, so bad. He suddenly smiles, distracting me. Garrett always distracts me, he's really good at it. "What?' He asks, confused. But he's still smiling.
He's always so happy. Like Gabe. Are all boys this happy? I think. No... No, they aren't. But a lot are. Patty's always happy, I know that. John's okay. He just worries. Unless he worries happily? I think about it. I don't know. Maybe if he ate more tomatoes, that would help. Hmm... I'll have to let him know. Lots and lots of tomatoes.
"You're staring at me," Garret mumbles. He's blushing. I'm reminded boys can blush. I like it, though. It looks sweet on him. Everything looks sweet on him. I bite my lip. I shouldn't think like that, that's just silly and wrong. I shouldn't, but sometimes I can't help myself. He's just a good guy, I know he is. He really is good.
"You're perfect," I blurt and bite my lip. I step back and shift weight. I should have- should I? That was wrong. But he is. That's what it feels like. I feel small next to him, I realize. But not just his height. I swallow hard and scratch my neck. How do I- explain? I need to get better at talking, Johnny said. But what if I don't know what to say? "So- n-not...you're... human, b-but..."
"I'm not perfect," he blinks, ignoring my stuttering. He never makes a big deal, and I like him for that a lot. He treats me like I'm fine, because I am. Everything is okay. Except my chest. It's fluttering. I look down. Nothing's moving... my heart? Hearts flutter? I'll have to ask John about that. It doesn't make sense. If I don't have it, I'll die, and I don't want to die. Gabe needs me, you know. So I can't.
"N-no?" I mumble.
"I'm not," he shakes his head fiercely, his smile drooping to look serious and troubled. Oh dear, I troubled him. I do this to people, but I don't mean to. I bite my lip, because I don't know what to say. I shouldn't have said anything. I would cut my tongue out, but that would hurt. I want my tongue. But I shouldn't have said anything. I swallow hard. He's still talking.
"I... I still worry. I can't do anything right sometimes. I can't cook, but I don't want to live on fast food forever. And someday, I won't be able to live with my parents, you know? I- I'm far from perfect. I'm scared a lot, okay. Scared of the future, of... of everything. What happens when the band finally goes our seperate ways? Will I need some other job? I'm not good at anything else. And- and what about marrying someone? I'm terrified of getting that close, and- and kids? I'd be a horrible father. I'll- I'll raise them on zombie movies, but teaching them how to talk and spell? What if I drop one? What if I suddenly die and- and I haven't left anything behind? I can't care for anyone! Or what if I die, old and alone? I don't want that!" He suddenly realizes there are tears and rashly rubs on them.
What have I done? Impulsively, I shove Gabe at him. Garrett grabs him, holding him delicately, swallowing. They match eyes and there's silence- except for my heart. It's not fluttering, but it's pounding. I'm almost try hitting it to force it back in. This isn't the time It doesn't hurt, but its loud and in my ears and I think there's a tear on my face too? I bite my lip as Garrett's eyes reach mine.
Silence.
Gabriel suddenly giggles, and pats Garrett's cheek. Legs stretched, he grabs Garrett's neck and his mouth lands on Garrett's lower jaw, open and drooling. Theres a big smacking-sound and Gabriel just gave Garrett a kiss. I suddenly smile and fling my arms around both of them.
"S-still perfect," I mumble in his ear. He turns a little, to look at me, but I close my eyes, laying my head on his shoulder. Everything is still good.

or something like that. we'll see!
June 30th, 2010 at 09:27pm