T.G.I.S - Thank God it’s Summer.

It feels as if my life was advancing in slow motion. The heat numbing my senses, the sea making these two months seem eternal. But that’s the thing, it’s only two months. What in the normal school year would have passed in the blink of an eye.

I woke up today not knowing what day of the week it was, not realizing that the first week of my holidays had already passed, not noticing that I only had nine weeks left.

I still remember myself saying; “This summer will be perfect.” And the thing is that many of us say these same words to ourselves, we try to make ourselves believe that this summer will perfect, it’ll be the summer we’ll look back to in years time.

But will we really?

What will difference this summer from the others? The places we visit? The people we meet? The things we do? What is a perfect summer? Because in my opinion, all my summers have been close to perfect. Girls try to lose weigh, making themselves look pretty and tanning until the reach that golden brown. Boys attending bonfires, catching up with mates…

When I was small, I forgot about school during summer. It was a moment of peace, visiting my family, spending time with my cousins in the pool, cooking with my grandparents.

Now, I go out with my friends, I scrub sand off my skin, stay up every night, and spend long ours in the computer writing things in order to make a sense out of them.

And sitting here, right now on Tuesday, 6th of July of 2010. I say to myself that this summer will be perfect, it will be different to the rest, and maybe next year, I will be able to remember it.

After all, I still have many chances to reach that perfection. This summer, will not be the last.
July 6th, 2010 at 02:26pm