Hate

I just have to say it’s pretty sad how much people can get away with online. They hide behind a computer and can say whatever they want. Sometimes that’s a blessing, sharing your feelings with world and not having to be embarrassed about what you think or feel but when you use this guard to cause people harm it no longer is something that’s dignified.

There’s nothing you can do about it either, the police won’t do anything if it’s not a serious
threat and websites won’t give out IP addresses without a warrant. Just because something isn’t a direct threat to you doesn’t mean it doesn’t have an effect.

Someone calling you ‘fat’ and a ‘whore’ even when you know you’re not can be in some many ways worse than any act of violence. I’m sorry to say the world we live in isn’t very fair to verbal abuse.

Lately people have been saying these things to me and it doesn’t bother me because I know I’m not what their calling me but if this was a year ago I would be horrified at the thought of what those words could have done to me.

I’m at a place where I’m happy with myself but this time last year I was not. I was on the brink of an eating disorder. I hated who I was, nothing could make me happy. I looked at myself with complete and utter disgust. No matter what anyone told me I never felt good enough, I didn’t feel smart enough I didn’t feel pretty enough, talented enough, skinny enough.

It all weighed down on me and I wanted to crack under the extreme pressure I put myself under. I believe if these hate crimes, and let’s face it attacking someone verbally over the internet is a form of hate, I would have been so broken I would have fell and that eating disorder would have been there to catch me.

I would have believed everything these people were telling me. I wouldn’t have been strong enough emotionally to know I’m better than that, better than the words the y were calling me.

I want to make a change to the laws that are in place. People shouldn’t be able to slander people at all. I don’t care if it’s a blog site that makes fun of celebrities or someone leaving crude emails on a social networking site.

If this was a year earlier this could have been something life threatening to me, just like it could be to thousands of boys and girls at this very moment.

Hate is hate; I don’t care if it’s about race, sexual orientation, weight, or class in society. I don’t care if it’s to somebody’s face or behind their back. I don’t care if it’s through a prank phone call or an online message. It’s a terrible thing and it’s something that takes lives every day.
July 20th, 2010 at 05:30pm