I Just Started Crying (Enter Depressing Story)

I just now read an article about a Smashing Pumpkins benefit concert. I like the Smashing Pumpkins so I just clicked on the link. And I completely blown away by what I read.

The benefit concert is for Madina Lake bassist Matthew Leone. Leone was hospitalized with severe brain trauma after intervening to stop a woman he passed on the street from being beaten by her husband. Even though the attacker was twice his size, Matthew immediately intervened and managed to subdue the attacker but as he waited for police to arrive, the attacker suddenly turned on Matthew, beating him severely. He then walked away with his wife, leaving Matthew unconscious on the street. Matthew was taken to UIC Hospital for emergency brain surgery wherein a third of his skull was removed to alleviate swelling. He's currently in stable condition awaiting an additional brain surgery to reapply the removed portion of his skull. As a musician, Matthew spends most of his life on tour and unfortunately his medical insurance had lapsed just two months prior to the incident.

I'm not crying because I'm a Madina Lake fan (I am) but because this story hits home for me. My mother was physically abuse by my dad until they finally got divorced when I was 11. I don't really like to talk about it but the article made me sad all over again. I'm not a Christian but if there is a God I hope He'll help Matthew and his family through this difficult period. And I hope the woman who was being attack finds the courage to get out that violent relationship.

Sorry for making everyone so depressed.

Matthew Leone
Image
July 26th, 2010 at 03:52am