The Root of Beauty

Have you ever seen a tree get yanked up from the ground? I don’t mean one of the little young sprout trees; I mean a full grown adult tree. It’s an adrenalin rush for me, mixture of sad, curious and art. You wouldn’t understand unless you saw it. The sad part make’s me feel like I am watching someone get murdered like watching the tree get it’s head pulled out from the rest of its body that there should be more down there but this is all you needed. But once they turned the tree completely upside down and the roots were hanging in the air it’s like all the secrets of nature have been exposed, almost like when someone dies and you learn they had a second life. When the roots are sprawled out in the clear blue sky like that, you see how attached they were to the dirt, no they weren’t just attached the dirt had become part of the tree. And that was the tree’s missing body. You could see how they roots grew winding and turning inside the dirt, trying to get up to the surface for air, scared to be exposed unaware of the world above them. The tree would be nothing without it’s roots, just like a human would be without it’s veins. The roots are underground doing all the life supporting hard work while the leaves and branches are above ground taking credit with all there natural beauty. And now the roots are exposed taking credit for the first time ever, but there not beautiful. And the tree will never be beautiful again. It makes me wonder what all roots look like; every time I pass a beautiful tree I wonder how beautiful the roots must be to make such strong branches. I’m never going to forget the under ground work again, because without them there is no beauty.
July 26th, 2010 at 06:33am