Girl Power! : There's No Such Thing as a SLUT!!

A/N: this is a bit rant-esque. If you don't like to hear people complain and whatnot, don't read.

First of all...

I'm sick and tired of girls being called "sluts" or "whores" or "hoes." It's degrading and sexists. That's right, calling a girl a whore is in fact sexist. If a guy goes around and sleeps with four girls in three days (just an example), he's "the man," or just "a player." But, a girl does the same thing, she's nothing but a whore! It delivers a message of inequality. Meaning, a girl can not do the same as a male, or rather, she can't get away with the same things males can.

This, in my opinion, is unacceptable. Now, I don't condone being over-sexually active (in either gender), but it's your business! Not mine. And I can't stand it when other people keep poking their noses into a girl's sex life, just to insult her!

Now, that's not to say...

A common story is a girl's boyfriend was stolen by an accused "slut," via her seducing him away, and it's also common for the roles to be switched, where the guy gets cheated on. To me, cheating is a different story. If your are in a committed relationship, messing around with another partner is inexcusable. But still, that's not to say that one is a "slut" or a "player" for doing it! They're nothing but a cheater, and the only crime they've committed is going against their commitment! They shouldn't be at fault for having sex with more than one partner, if they're single.

Personally, I believe cheating is one of the greatest offensives a person can do to another. It's a terrible thing, but I can't blame the person for pursuing sexuality. I do blame them for not having the self-control to stick with their original partner.

But don't misunderstand...

I'm not one of those feminist that believe no women should stay at home, or that all women should force themselves into an equal state to men, like they should burn their bras and not wear make-up. No. That's not what I'm about. If you're a stay-at-home mom or a housewife, I applaud you. That is one of the hardest jobs I can imagine. Keeping down the household is no laughing matter. If you're a girl that likes to be feminine and wear cosmetics, I'm right there with you. There's nothing I like more than playing with different shades of eyeshadow, and drawling designs over my temples with some brand-new eyeliner! Now, if you're the opposite, I also applaud you. If you think you look great without make-up, more power to you!

While I'm not a feminist who believes no women should have children or a husband, I am the type of feminist who believes that, no matter what the person's choices, men and women are equal.

And another thing...

There's one more thing that I must get out of my system... I absolutely loath the fact that, when a girl has any type of talent, she's easily overshadowed by a man of equal or lesser talent! I'm specifically speaking of my experience in being a female musician. The head Classical Guitar professor of Juliard (a very prestigious music institute) happens to be a woman. She's worked on movie soundtracks, such as Titanic and has won countless awards for her talents. Two classmates of mine (both males) were doing college research. They were looking into the Juliard page, seeing the audition processes to enter. One classmate was reading off the head Guitar Professor's list of accomplishments. The other simply replied, "Yeah, but she's still a girl." Obviously, I was infuriated.

As a guitarist, I've gotten a lot of crap thrown my way. Another example: a good friend of mine (male) wished to have a guitar player fill in on one of his vocal recordings. I was sitting there, guitar ready, playing the chords he asked. Another friend of mine (also male) came along, and played the same chords, basically the same as me, but had a bit of a harder time getting them down right away. That guitarist had even asked me for help. But, my vocalist friend still chose him to play on the track. Understandably, I felt a bit disappointed, so I asked my friend why he chose the other guitarist. And he answered me with this simple sentence, "I didn't really want a girl helping me with the album."

Wow. I've never felt so pathetic in my life. All because of my gender.

But understand this...

As far as comedians go, I find a lot of them (male and female alike) do make a lot of sexist jokes. And, honestly, I'm fine with that. It's a joke, it's not meant to offend. The phrase, "If you can't laugh at yourself, then don't laugh at all," comes into play. I can deal with joking around and just kidding... But if you're honestly convinced that the decisions that you make are effected by something as meaningless as your sex? I'd have to thoroughly disagree.

Wrapping up...

This has been a very long-winded journal entry, and I have to apologize. But, just to re-enforce:

If you think pursuing an active sex-life makes you a slut, you're wrong.
If you think you shouldn't express your opinion because it'll make you a bitch, you're wrong.
If you think that a girl can't belch or pass gas in public, you're wrong. (but it would be appreciated if you did it in private. And that goes for both genders.)
If you think you're talents are undervalued because your a girl, you're dead wrong.

Please, take a lesson from what I've said. If your a guy and reading this, I hope you listen to my advice and don't under mind women. Or, if you've never under minded women in your life (good for you!), then please, motivate others, male and female alike, to do the same.

If you're a girl and reading this, also take a lesson. You can do anything with your life, and I hope you realize, you shouldn't be under minded for anything you do or the choices that you make, just because you're a girl.

That's all for now,
Ruby
July 27th, 2010 at 06:42am