I'm sick of people telling me what to do. I can make up my own mind, thank you all very much!

I’m sick of people telling me what I should be doing. I know they’re just trying to look out for me and they have what’s best in mind, but I have a reason for everything I do.

I want to go into the US Military, preferably the Navy. My parents and family support my decision (most don’t care), it’s my friends and the random people that I talk to that tell me that I’m crazy for even considering it.

They judge me very quickly because of my size and my grades. I’m at the top of our class academically, so everyone expects me to go do something “practical”, as it’s been called, and standing at 4’11”, do you think I don’t realize that I’m not intimidating? I get it!! I’m short! You can quit telling me.

Everyone is always telling me things like “You’ll never make it” “You’re crazy. Do something safer” “Why would you even think about that?” “You’re going to die”.

First off, I’m not going to die!! (I don’t think). And if I do, so be it. You just have to trust that you’re trained properly and that you’re smart enough and can improvise in case of a problem.

Secondly, I don’t care what you all tell me, I’m going to do this d@mnit!! Do you think I’m that naive? I know the risks; I know what’s at stake. I also know what can be gained from the experience. There is so much honor and respect that comes from serving your country. You meet all sorts of people, and you get to travel.

Third, I am practical. See, when people hear that I want to be a military person, they stop listening to everything I have to say. They don’t hear my whole story. I want to be a doctor. Going through the military will help me get into and pay for medical school. I will have a job guaranteed once I get out of school, and I’ll still get all the perks from the government.

So to everyone telling me how I should live in my future, leave me alone and trust my judgment!!

[/rant]
August 3rd, 2010 at 07:27pm