Why My Slash Stories Have Happy Endings

So today a friend of mine asked me, "Why do your stories always have a happily ever after?"

And I was kind of shocked by her question. At first, I didn't really have an answer but after I sat and thought about it, I finally came up with an answer that made sense.

So I've realized that on mibba there are three different types of authors. The first, being like me, always having a happily ever after whether it be in the first part of the story or the sequel. The second being the ones who end every story with a smack in the face, bad, bad, bad. And the third are the ones who have a mixture of both and you can't really tell if this story will end good or not.

I can honestly read either of the three but I prefer a happy ending just like with my stories and the reason why is actually pretty simple:

Because a lot of sh*t happens in real life and sometimes it seems like I've hit rock bottom. Sometimes it feels like I just want to give up and stop trying so hard to just live, you know what I mean?

And when I feel like that, I go read a story. Do you know what kind I read? One with a happy ending.

Because once I read it and I get to that happy ending I feel myself smiling and suddenly my day isn't so bad anymore and I know that what they've written was something they just made up for the sake of the story but still, it makes that little flame of hope in my chest ignite and I go back to living and hoping for my own happy ending.

And maybe it won't be as cheesy, as romantic, or as happy as I wanted it to be but that doesn't matter. As long as I hope, it's ok.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is...

I write my stories because I want people who just think "sh*t, this really sucks" or they just can't feel that hope anymore to read it and maybe, just maybe, that ending will make them hope and dream again too and maybe they'll be a little disappointed at their own ending at first but once they realize that it's a happy ending no matter what, they'll be ok.

And when they finish my story, I want them to be smiling. So not everything in life has a happy ending but, in my opinion, it's always better to hope and to dream and to fight for that ending that you really want and I think reading about it can help, even if just for a moment.

Some of you may not think the same way I do and you may not understand what I mean exactly, but I didn't put this up for a debate. I wrote this for my own benefit and just felt like posting it because I wanted to get it out and yeah, that's all I have to say.
August 6th, 2010 at 02:24am