Pop vs Rock, who will win?

It has brought to my attention that either you like pop or you like rock. I want to know your opinions on this? After all, I’m a rock-pop girl; I don’t like rock all the time, just like I don’t like pop all the time. And what happened to classics?

Music is a big part of inspiration and creativity in today’s generation. A lot of writers use music to inspire their stories; a lot of directors use music to create a certain tension and feeling to their scenes. The truth is music is a big part in the modern world as it is a big industry. Music has changed over the generations, and has been as big as it can get. In today’s world we are looking at artists like Cheryl Cole, M &M and Lady Gaga. But if you think about it what happened to Elvis? The Spice Girls? And Genesis?

These are the type of stuff your parents might have listened to, the rock n roll, just the rock, and then just the pop. The 50’s to the 90’s, this is where modern music came from, so why do so many of our generation, some many teenagers, just come up blank when we think of it? I’m going to admit right now, I love the classics! So why when I put on a good old Elvis song on my iTunes why do my friends ask me to change the song? If it wasn’t for these great names, we wouldn’t even have Miss ‘Gaga’ or Lady ‘Cole’.

Ok so I probably seem like I’m just ranting about how we teens don’t appreciate the classics. But the truth is, I know we do! When Michael Jackson died, we went into shock; his music was being played around the world! But really he wasn’t the biggest music sensation at the time. So why don’t we pick up an old song and listen to it? Because these artist were the ancestors of modern music.

Another point I want to make is the stereotyping and the labelling that comes with the genres. All the cool kids like pop and Rap, the original kids like Rock and Scene, but I don’t fit in anywhere, I have awesome friends, but boy, do we break the mould! I love Pop, I’m a Ke$ha and Lady Gaga princess, and then again I’m one of the biggest All Time Low, and All American Rejects fans. So why can’t you be both?

At my school, our year is split into two. You have all the popular kids on one side, and everyone else on the other side. And on one side you’re only allowed to listen to pop, on the other you’re only allowed to like rock. But how can you choose? Music is inspiring and there for a reason, it is made out of the artist’s style, and most songs mean something to them!

I complain when my dad plays ‘YES’ songs loudly, and I complain when my sister listens to show tunes. But the truth is your style creates your own personality, and without it, you might as well follow the herd and be like everyone else. So if you like pop, then go ahead and like it. If you like rap, put it on full volume, and if you want to rock out and do air guitar, be my guest. If you love the classics, ignore your stereotypical friends, and if you want to dye your hair bright pink and put yellow highlights in, do it! Be original, be yourself and have a great time doing it. Because one day, when we play ‘Bad Romance’ our children will say ‘who the hell is she?’. This is the type of world the music industry is, fast pace, unpredictable and certainly judging.

So just because you like pop, and rock, doesn’t mean your completely gaga. It means that you love an upbeat life style, but at the same time love songs that come from the heart of the artist. Music is the life and soul of modern culture, so make your own choices on the type you listen to, because it can affect the person you are inside.
August 7th, 2010 at 11:53pm