Vampires, Edward or Dracula?

*Below is my own opinion, and comments from sources, please do not take offence*

Ok, today’s hot, or cold, topic - vampires.

I’m not going to lie to you, I’m another vampire fan, I’m all for the romance, the blood, the action and the deep dramatic stories a simple vampire can create. But I know not everyone feels the same. So for today’s topic I will be looking into vampires – and why teenage girls find them sexy and/or repulsing.

So as a true aspiring journalist and author, I have done my research. I have talked to teenage girls of all styles and of all feelings about the blood sucking, romance biting, dreamy pale, pointy fangs, silver Volvo, bat wings, fast running, heart pumping vampires that today’s world is so obsessed with. And to be fair, anyone that has read my books, again about vampires.

So where do we start? How about why so many teenage girls dream guy is one that could potentially kill her? Is it the looks then, is it that we females just like the cold pale, handsome vampires, and we wish we were the beautiful graceful pale females? I mean being a teenager, we girls would jump at the chance to be beautiful, and we all want to be seen as attractive and special. And the truth is the female vampires that are put forward in today’s modern world are special. They are smart, pretty, fun, and talented. And most vampire males are just your dream guy. Who doesn’t want a protective, smart, funny, romantic boyfriend? We all have our idea of an ideal partner.

It could also be the immortality, the idea of living forever appeals to some people, not everyone. But maybe if you got the chance to not only be immortal but to stay forever young, would you accept. But would you pay the price that comes with it? Everyone is different, and everyone has their own view on the immortality part.

Today’s teenagers are being given stories like Twilight (Stephanie Meyer), with Edward Cullen. Night World and The Vampire Diaries (L.J Smith), with so many different leading males, all unique, and yet the same perfection. True Blood (Alan Ball) and even Eternal Kiss of Darkness (Jeaniene Frost). All of which involve a passionate love story. So have today’s world really sunk our teeth into this idea of the perfect romance?

But we must not forget the classics, Interview with the vampire (Anne Rice) and Dracula (Bram Stoker). We could even include Buffy the vampire slayer (Joss Whedon) into the classics list, who doesn’t love Buffy? These are what people consider to be ‘real’ vampires. These drink, and potentially kill (or at least change) their human victims. These are the immortal, bat flying, blood drinking, horror type vampires that came before our teenage love affair. I, being a vampire fan, love these types of vampires, as I love the types of romance novels. Whatever way you imagine a vampire, it is unique to your own style. But with a strong, unique story line, there is no right or wrong vampire.

So what about animal blood? Human blood? Donated blood? This is probably the biggest difference between everyone’s idea of a vampire. Traditionally, human blood is associated with a vampire’s diet. But when Anne Rice and Stephanie Meyer brought in the idea of Animal Blood, what’s to stop them? We are potentially mammals, therefore animals, so is there a real difference in our blood to an animal’s blood? This idea has created the idea of a ‘good’ vampire and making others seems like ‘bad’ vampires. Whatever you think, it totally up to you. In some stories a vampire can drink human blood but they won’t kill the human, so this is ‘good’ then. Everyone has their own opinions and I don’t think the vampire community should be put down because a few big novels/series is alienating everyone’s idea on what a vampire is.

The truth is no author in history has ever put forward the same idea of what they think a vampire is. I know mine are different, because it’s what I can imagine in my head. After all the vampires we write about are IMAGINARY and CREATED creatures. Everyone sees something different. I can understand why people are so against vampire fans. It might be because vampires have become immensely popular, and more romance instead of horror is being produced. I can understand that some people are going to rebel, and not everyone likes the same things. I can see, and I am fully aware of this. After all if everyone likes the same thing, life would be very boring.

So why have got teens hyped about vampires? Well, for one thing, most fans agree that vampires are hot and sexy. Stories put across the romance, and the passion which gets the teenage hormones going. Another thing, it’s exciting. I mean, knowing your boyfriend could kill you; it’s great to read about. Also having a strong, protective boyfriend who is just different from the others, well every girl wants one. And every guy probably wouldn’t mind having a very beautiful passionate vampire girlfriend.

But really if it came down to it, and you met a real vampire (not that there is such thing, but this is hypothetically) I’m sure most of the obsessed vampire girls, would not want to date a blood sucking monster. All I can say is that a story and a good character can make you love even the most repulsing things. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, are vampires good? Are they bad? What blood do they drink? What can they do? How do they look? But in conclusion, your vampire is what you want them to be. That is what imagination and originality is all about. I would love to know your own opinions on this topic!

Question: what/who is your idea of a real vampire?

(Daily Journal number 3 – Hot Topic: Vampires – topic inspired by the vampire phenomenon that has hit the generation over the last couple of years)

Over the last few years I have written a journal daily exactly like this one, and now it’s time to share my opinion and observations, Have a topic you want me to research, just ask.
August 8th, 2010 at 01:47am