-Alternate chapter 7 ending/Alex's POV-

[Never Thought I'd Walk On This Street Again,Standing Where It All Began]

Alex wakes with a start.The alley is engulfed in darkness. He checks his watch.4:35 AM.He doubts he can fall back asleep. He sits there silently for a few minutes,eyes closed,attempting to drift back into the dream he was having. No such luck.

He sighs, slowly pulls himself to his feet,grabs his backpack from behind the nearby dumpster,and starts walking.

He doesn't know where he's going,but right now he doesn't really care. He just continues to walk,without a purpose or direction.

After about twenty-five minutes of strolling aimlessly, he realizes he's in his old neighborhood. He's avoided this place like the plague for the last ten months.He didn't think he could stand the sight of his house,cold and empty. But now,he wants to see it.

He doesn't know what came over him so suddenly,but now he's dying to see the place he used to call home. He sprints down two side-streets and locates the black and white two story house. But something's wrong.

The grass is neatly trimmed.The shutters are open. The light in the kitchen is on.

His first reaction is to be horrified.His parents moved away. Without him.

Tears start to fall.His hands start to shake.Then he realizes.

It's five AM. The only people he knows that are up at five AM are...his parents.

He silently climbs the stairs,stands on the porch,and looks into the house through the large bay window. He sees his mother and father sitting at the kitchen table,drinking coffee.Laughing.

He has been lied to.

It doesn't sink in at first,but when he sees his mother smile,it hits him.Hard. They never left.They've been here this whole time.

Alex bursts into hysterical sobs and flees,trying to get as far away as possible from the awful people who abandon and lie.

The people he used to call his family.
August 12th, 2010 at 08:24pm