Long distance relationship? Fun!

Actually, it's not very fun. It's kind of upsetting. You love this person, and you wish you could be with them all the time, but you can't, because they live far enough away. It's tiring.

I'm currently in a relationship with someone who lives in New York, and I live in Maine. It hasn't been for very long, but it's difficult.

I met him last summer, even though I'd met his twin sister the year before, but we were friends from the start. His parents and my grandparents both have houses on an island within an hour away from where I live. His family comes out for a few weeks every summer, and last year I tried to spend as much time out there as I could while they were there along with my cousins and another friend.
By this summer, we had become best friends. His family stayed on the island for two weeks, so I did too, and it was absolutely amazing. For the first week we were just best friends, and we'd kind of go off and do our own thing without the rest of our friends. Of course, our friends all thought we were going off to make out or something. But that was before anything started.

We developed a game of sorts, where we'd try to make each other feel uncomfortable. Example: putting your hand on their leg, holding their hand, etc.
The night of the day we mostly started playing, he stayed over at my house watching movies. He says that I was the one that was holding his hand, and I don't really remember, so whatever. After that night he'd stay over and we'd watch movies until 2-4 in the morning. We would hold hands, and then it started going further, but we hadn't kissed yet. We were still best friends. There was no, "Do you want to be my girlfriend/boyfriend?"
That continued for the rest of the second week, until the night before he left. His family would be leaving on the 7:30 boat, so the two of us, his sister, and our other friend decided to just stay up until then. Which we nearly did, by the way.
By then it was decided that we had a "thing", but we weren't really dating. More like a summer fling of sorts.
Anyway, we had left the other two and were on this bed that we have on my porch, and I kissed him. (Apparently I looked embarrassed afterwards.) For the remaining few hours we'd hug and kiss and it was fine.

After they left we were texting and decided what we should do about "us." We decided that we should keep "dating" (which made it Facebook official :P).

Now it's only been about a month since they left, and we're both going back to the island in a week. We're been "dating" for a little over a month, but I know I love him, at least as a best friend. We click. When he says certain things I get a tingly feeling, and I love it. But it makes me miss him more. I'm typically not a very sad person, but it makes me genuinely sad that I can't see him more often.
It doesn't help when he hangs out with his ex (who's also his best friend), until six in the morning and then she spends the night. Is it weird that I feel weird about it? Maybe I'm just jealous that she can spend time with him. And the other day we were talking on skype, and he stopped talking for a while because he was talking to a few other girls. I guess I'm just jealous.

I brought up what we would do once the school year starts, because we'd already talked about how we could try to keep dating and then if one of us decides they want to date someone else, then we'll stop. But he says he wants it to be like this again next summer, and I definitely do too. When I brought it up though, he suggested we just stop after we both leave the island at the end of the summer. And then we'll see what happens next summer. I agreed, but now that I think about it, I don't really want to stop. Even though he said he'd still probably talk to me like we're more than friends, even if I do date someone else. I don't want to date anyone else. But I don't want to feel like this all year.

On a plus side, his mom might look at a job in Massachusetts, and if she gets it and they move there, then they'd be less than half as far away as before. Also, I think it would be different if we could drive. I'm going to take driver's ed this fall, and if I pass the driving test next year, then I could have my license by the end of next summer. Since New York has different driving ages, he wouldn't get his for another year. Would we be able to visit each other? Oh, and I'm older than him, but only by a month, exactly. And I know we're both young, and I'm probably making a big deal of it, but it's all been bugging me.

Here's some questions that would help me out:
1. Have you been in a long distance relationship? Would you be if you haven't?
2. If you have, how'd it work out?
3. Is the whole thing with his best friend/ex weirdish, or is that just me? :P
4. Any other advice about it?

Thanks for reading, I appreciate it :)
August 16th, 2010 at 07:03am