Help?

This is a journal where I actually need advice: a first for me.

My friend is depressed. She does a d*mn good job at hiding it because she didn't even say anything to me, and usually I can read her like a book. The only way I found this out is because her boyfriend texted me and asked what he should do since she was threatening to hurt herself.

He talked to her for nearly three hours, while texting me the necessary parts of what she was saying. At one point she said she stabbed herself, but it failed. He is nearly ripping his hair out he's so worried.

I have known her a lot longer to know that she could never kill herself. She loves too many things about life too much. Hurt herself, maybe. Kill herself, no. I have finally managed to calm down the boyfriend enough that he is going to stay home tonight, and check on her tomorrow morning. I have managed to convince him that if she was coherent enough to talk to him with no difference in the way she was speaking that she wasn't losing much or any blood. She got mad at him for being so worried and decided to go to sleep.

I am really, really hoping she's okay. I didn't text her myself because she wasn't telling me all this and I didn't want to make things worse by having her find out her boyfriend was telling me everything.

I plan on sleeping with my phone on tonight, just because I'm worried as f*ck now.

The boyfriend is beating himself up that it's all his fault and he should have done something earlier. He's really done all he can do as one person, coaxing her and trying to talk her out of it. I wouldn't doubt that he was crying, he didn't say, and we were only texting while he was on his home phone talking to her.

After she said she was going to bed, he kept texting me, frantically if that's possible. I'm really hoping they're both okay. I feel like I've done nothing, and that makes me feel super guilty. We're hoping to do something in terms of getting her professional help tomorrow because between the two of us, there is only so much we can do.

I know I don't usually post journals that are me panicking about my life, I try to keep it more upbeat than this, but I just don't know what to do.
August 17th, 2010 at 08:20am