30 Days of prompts- Day two: Who said a dog was a MAN'S best friend?

Day two!

Hands down I didn't have to think of my favourite pet; I knew right away.

The night I saw him is still clear in my mind and that's probably because it was only four months ago. I was sitting in the kitchen with my mom. We were both on our laptops probably messing around on Facebook. When that got boring I decided to browse a site called kijiji. You can put out ads on there for things you want, search for jobs, etc. I put puppies in the search bar and looked at all of the dogs for sale. I was just about to click off the site when a picture caught my eye.

Image

That picture! I'm sorry if it's huge, I tried to resize it but I don't think it worked. Anyway, I saw that picture and showed my mom. We gushed over it and I declared that it was the cutest puppy out of all the ads on the site. Clicking the backspace to browse the other puppies, I noticed the price for this puppy; $100. I was completely shocked seeing as all the other puppies on the site were $500+. I showed my mom and she right away shook her head in a don't-even-think-about-it look. But I knew she would get weak so I showed her the picture again, promised to get the puppy all the shots and food it would need. It only took about a half an hour to convince her. I then begged her to contact the lady who had the puppies because I have a phobia of being on the phone. She did and we drove to the ladies house to get the puppy.

We got there and I looked around the woman's house trying to spot the puppy but I couldn't find him. She walked over to a desk and picked him up and he was so tiny he got lost in her arms. I held him and my mom and I right away knew he was ours. What to they call that? Oh yes, love at first site. I learned that he was a Jack Russell mix and that he loved biting feet. We took him home and I was done for. I was in love. My mom, boyfriend and I thought of names all the way home. I contemplated Keeghan but decided it didn't suit him. After a few minutes of staring at him I figured out his name; Spencer

The next few weeks with him were a bit rough. Being a puppy, he slept all day and was up all night. I worried that he would get into cords or get lost under something so I lost a lot of sleep over him. I would him him whining from the ground at 3am and I would put him on my bed. He'd drag his nose across my neck and burrow his face in my hair. He'd lick my eyelids every time I closed my eyes. I would stay up all night with him and never felt regret.

We moved house shortly after getting him and at that time my work hours increased significantly. Spencer would spend all day chasing the other animals- especially the other dog in the house- and chewing things up. He would bite our feet as we walked, bit our pant legs and wouldn't let go. He was terrified of outside and refused to go to the bathroom out there so there was a constant mess in the house. I would go to sleep at 3:30am and have to be up at 6:30am to be with him because he would bark and wake everyone up. Everyone in the house refused to help me and on top of having to work full days. I couldn't do it anymore.

But I couldn't get rid of him. I honestly couldn't picture not coming home and him running up to me. He would kind of whine when I'd pick him up coming home as if he was crying. But maybe of happiness. I would put him on his back on my lap and blow lightly on his face and he used to wave his little arms in his face. It would make me laugh so much. I hated to do it, but I had to give him away.

I was talking to my dad about it and he offered to take him. I was so extremely happy that Spencer wouldn't be out of my life. My dad's apartment is in walking distance so I could go and walk Spencer whenever I wanted to and it was the only reason I would go to my dads. I would take Spencer to the baseball diamond and have my brother go stand on the other side of the field and Spencer would run back and fourth to us. Eventually he wouldn't run anywhere if I wasn't with him so it was as if we'd bonded.

A week ago my dad told me he couldn't take care of Spencer anymore either and I begged my mom to let me bring him back here; I would try my best to train him right. She refused and this time wouldn't give in. My dad called me a couple days ago and said he'd found someone who was going to take Spencer and asked if I wanted to go say good-bye. I said no and I don't regret it because I wouldn't have let him go. I only regret that I didn't convince my mom more because I really, truly miss him. Writing this even makes my chest feel tight. He was honestly like a little brother to me. He annoyed me most of the time but in the end I still loved him unconditionally.

I miss you Spencer <3

Image
September 4th, 2010 at 11:12pm