When I was a kid... (Writing Prompt #4)

I can't wait to have kids one day and torture them with my "When I was a kid..." stories. My parents do it all the time. "When I was a kid I had to walk to school and back, uphill both ways, in the snow." Irrelevant, but I think everyone's parents say something like this.

All of this is probably out of order, it's just the things I remember in the order I remember them.

Anyways, I'm the first born child, which according to my Psychology class, puts me into this premade mold of how I'll turn out. To my Psych teacher, yes, the idea of what a first born is fits me like a glove.

The furthest back memory that I have is when I was about three and ripped my hand open on the metal parts inside a van door. I got some stitches for that, still have a tiny scar if I open my hand as wide as I can. My dad read me "Green Eggs and Ham" in the waiting room, and apparently I was screaming pretty bad, but hey, I was three.

It was back in those days that I would dress up like a cheerleader for Halloween. NEVER AGAIN. No offense to cheerleaders or anything, that's just not me.

I was one of those kids that was amused by Barbies, Power Rangers, Pokemon, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. If anyone remembers that old Sailor Moon show, I was in love with it as a child. I went through my Yu-Gi-Oh phase at one point, too. I still have all my Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh cards nowadays, rotting away in my closet.

Honestly, I wasn't really a spoiled child, just a needy, whiny child. From what I look back to see. My sister and I have always had a good relationship, I think. When I was around five, we'd sneak out of the house in the morning and play outside at six in the morning. My parents ended up putting alarms on the doors. If the alarms went off, we'd sprint back to our room and pretend to sleep, but we were terrible at it.

I always had headaches as a child, so I'd be crying in the middle of the night from a migraine. For a while, I'd hit my head against stuff because the impact made the migraine go away for a few seconds. Probably lost a lot of brain cells that way. My father would usually bring me medication and lay there until I fell asleep. Nowadays, all my father and I do is argue. It's sad really.

I also remember that the only movie that scarred me was Stephen King's IT. I saw it when I was around 8 years old, insisting that I could handle it. I couldn't handle it. It started my lifelong fear of clowns. Now I've watched the movie again because I love Tim Curry, and I laugh at how much of a chicken I was. Still a little freaked out by clowns, though.

In school, I was put in the smart reading class and math class in third grade. Have been ever since. Which relates to me being a first born child apparently.

In third grade I got the first crush I can remember, on this boy named Cameron. He ended up being my best friend from third to fifth grade, then completely ignored me when we got to middle school. Some friend. Anyways, we always played those lame games that little kids play, and my friends and I sometimes. Anyone ever play that game where you lay on each other's stomach and go back and forth saying "Ha," "Ha ha," "Ha ha ha," etc., until one of you starts cracking up? Yeah, we played that. And that "Crocodile Morey" chant game, with a whole bunch of our friends that I don't talk to anymore. I never ended up telling him I liked him, and now he's a COMPLETE jerk.

When I got to middle school, I met my current best friend because we were amused with the fact that we had the same birthday. The other best friend I have at the moment I met in Kindergarten. Yes, we've lasted that long and still have things to talk about, and a fantastic time when we hang out. Seventh grade was a terrible, terrible year, but I met most of the friends I have now, then. I remember my friend's "boyfriend" at the time insisted that he'd kill himself if she broke up with him. We went down to the guidance office crying, and they brought him in. Now he's one of those kids that's a Junior, but hits on all the Freshmen girls...

Eighth grade is when I danced with a boy at the school dance. We were arms length apart and nervous as heck, but it was still a milestone for me.

Ninth grade was depressing, as I had to move from my house into an apartment, losing my dog, privacy, and everything. My friend lost his dog, and even before that was really depressed about pretty much everything, he was on a close watch by all of his friends that year. He's okay now, just saying. I had a date to homecoming that year, with the boy I danced with in eighth grade. We were "going out" for three months, though neither of us asked the other out. Then we broke up and didn't speak again until the end of tenth grade, when he started going out with my best friend and they broke up in a fit of rage. Yeah.

Tenth grade was the most uneventful grade of my life, and not really a childhood experience. Ninth, and eighth maybe weren't either, but oh well.

Like I said, a lot of these are in the order I remembered them, not necessarily the order they occurred. Maybe we have some things in common? I'd love to relate, so maybe I won't think I'm crazy.
September 5th, 2010 at 08:03am