Characters And Characterization

I am not going to go on about words being like poetry. I will, instead, head-dive right into my first point to be made; characters and characterization. I have heard people talk/ type about Mary Sue's and Gary Stu's in stories. What I will like to point out is there is such thing as a Flat Character and Round Character. I am not calling them fat or anorexic for those that don't know.

A Flat Character is someone in a story that helps the main character with their conflict. They give advice but they themselves don't change throughout the story. A Round Character is someone who is moved by what happens to the main ring of characters. Examples for each is Emmett Cullen from Twilight and Neville Longbottom from Harry Potter. I am not comparing the two stories or saying one is better than the other, I am just using their names because mostly everyone will know who they are.

Emmett is a Flat Character for the main reason that throughout the story he makes side comments to Edward. Emmett is just a teddy bear who is, also, perverted. He remains unchanged and that's why he is just a supporting role. Flat Characters are referred to as two-dimensional, which Emmett's personality can be called. He is just a muscular dude that crushes rocks.

Neville is a Round Character. His parents had been Crucio'd too many times and had been in St. Mungo's hospital for it. Neville is a shy nerd that can never really stand up for himself. While his personality is like that, he later on changes and actually helps Harry in his major battle against Voldemort. This change makes his character develop from the way it was portrayed at the beginning to a more stronger role.

Now, I can go on about Antagonist and Protagonist but I'm sure every writer out there knows what those words are, being used so many times.
September 12th, 2010 at 09:03pm