Characters' Habits & Caps Lock/ Parenthesis/ Italics

Okay, now I have to say something important, very important; pay attention to your characters' habits. It may seem stupid to say but I have often read about girls being pale. In fact, almost every character in a story is pale! At least, the main girl is. What, is the girl diseased with Vampire Syndrome? It's not wrong to put them as pale but the girl is usually called athletic. She exercises, goes out in the sun, and skates in the heat. The author says all that yet the girl is still PALE! How is that exactly? Someone explain to me the concept of how this is a possibility. Not a fib, read a story about romance on here and tell me if the girl is tanned or pale.

Next on the agenda, this is a very small point but I think I should say it; don't use to much parenthesis/ Caps lock/ Italic. If someone is fuming you don't go; "YOU SON OF A BITCH!!" It's more professional not to cuss (unless you're writing from a certain angered teenager's point of view.). In published books you may have a word here and there but to drop an F-Bomb every five seconds just won't do. Also, you never use two exclamation points or "!?." all at once. If it's a question and is exclaimed, you use a "!". The question is implied in the sentence.

Why did I mention parenthesis and Italics? For one, a story should not be fully told in parenthesis. Parenthesis is a small side note that adds a bit of clearance to the sentence that had just been said. If you keep using side notes, nothing is actually being told. Italics, on the other hand, implies where in speech one would stretch a word's pronunciation. Example: your mother just mentioned to you that you will have to take care of your baby brother instead of you going out with your friends. You would probably say, "But whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?" In a story, one would write down "But why?"

Another thing, remember you are an author. Caps Lock doesn't show emotion, words do. "Shrieked," "hollered," and "sobbed" are great words to use. It's better than using exclamation points every sentence. And if you don't want to say so many describing words, use actions. The actions of the character show their feelings too. The throwing of a nearby object, clutching a friend's T-Shirt while in tears, etc..
September 12th, 2010 at 09:05pm