Don't Advertise

Another subject to point out; don't advertise. As I have said before, we read for the story and what's happening to the character. Don't mention TM'ed objects. So what if the boys were playing Super Mario Kart? Is that really an important detail to the story? The nerds at school are having a Harry Potter Movie Marathon and are practicing their Latin, is that really necessary? The girls are listening to Celebrity Status by Mariana's Trench, congratulations.

Just don't put those things in the story at all. If you're writing a fan fiction, be vague. Omigosh, a Justin Beiber ring-tone just rang from your cell phone while you were talking to the singer himself!! Do you really need to put it was the song Somebody To Love?

While it's cool to put a Song of the Day that describes the chapter, don't put it directly in the story. Use an Author's Note. And if one of the character's phone is ringing, there's no need for a ring-tone. Just say "a loud rock song echoed through the silence, not stopping until Blake realized it was his cell phone ringing." It's better than reading the lyrics to some random song by Lil Wayne.

I get that every once in a while, a character wants to serenade his girlfriend or someone else. That is adorable of them but the detail of the song being by some famous band, is completely unnecessary. If you, the fellow author, wrote the song itself it is okay to insert. Just remember this simple tip; your posted stories are copyrighted. Should they really be copyrighted when you have other TM'ed things in the story?
September 12th, 2010 at 09:06pm