Going To The Loo

The thing I hate the most; going potty. A character is human (unless told otherwise). They eat, go to the bathroom, and take a shower like a normal person. If a character needs to go to the bathroom, you don't describe what they're going to do. I've read stories that say, "I did my business, washed my hands and left."

While they didn't describe in gross detail, they still gave an outline and I don't think anyone wants that. The proper way is to just skip it all together. The character does go to the bathroom it just isn't mentioned, readers just automatically assume that they do it on their own time. Same goes for taking a shower. I don't need to hear about Casey's super delicious-smelling Berry Blossum shampoo.

These things are just automatically assumed to be done. If your character came back from dirt-biking and got their hair all dirty, it is kinda best to say they're going to take a shower. But the imaginary camera isn't supposed to follow them in there as they rinse their body clean.

Example: My hair was a total mess as I pulled it out of it's ponytail. My father asked me if I had gotten better at riding a bike before I sprinted up the steps to my bedroom. I looked in the mirror at my face and noticed mud seemed to have made it onto my clothes. James had invited me to his house later on but before I went, I knew one thing was evident; I needed a shower first.

The character is implying she's going to take a shower because of how dirty she is. We're not following her into there and listening to how she was shaving her legs when she saw a spider.
September 12th, 2010 at 09:06pm