Making Believable story Settings

Have you ever read a story, where the setting is pretty much inconsistent, unmanageable, and not understandable in the least? Does it seem as if the characters in the story are just running around in random, ever-changing space that suits their needs and never seems to have any obstacles?

( lol, I sound like some advertising voice on tv)

Honestly though, I find that a lot of times when I'm writing, I often forget some major-ish parts of my settings like building layouts, city size and its overall type of population. I guess that for some people,. coming up with those kinds of details on the spot might be easy, but for people like me, its damned near impossible to keep up with the story, the characters, AND the setting in a spontaneous fashion.

In one of my last journals, I asked your opinions on how one comes up with 'real', believable characters.

Now I want to know, though How do you come up with real, believable settings?
Is it hard? Does it take as much of your time in planning as the plot and characters do? DO you even worry about it at all?

What I usually do when I'm trying to make a setting seem more stable and believable is I draw out a very rough map of any major site and imagine myself as a character walking through that place and going about the instances in my head that will occur in the story. It doesn't take me too much time, but it helps me visualize what major objects are where in case my characters decided to interact with them to further the story. I don't do it physically for every scene, but that's pretty much the deal for me most of the time.

What do you do or what would you suggest? Does a deeper planning of a setting even matter that much for a good story, in your opinion?
September 14th, 2010 at 05:43am