I decided to spontaniously go back to school... and I start in two days. Extrememly overwhelmed!

I was planning on taking this year to just work and chill out so I could go back to school next September to take a program called Child and Youth Worker which is basically teaching you how to be a counselor to children and adolescents. It allows you to work in places such as group homes, Children's Aid, Children's Crisis Center, schools, etc. It's got abnormal, clinical, developmental and basic psychology in the course which is what I'm really interested in.

Last week my friend told me she was applying at a private college for an Addiction and Counseling course. She told me it had the same courses as the Child and Youth Worker but that it's fast-track and only 10 months. She said if she referred me she would get $250 for it. I was too excited to even care that she would get money out of it, I was just excited that I could get into this kind of program so soon.

I went yesterday and got enrolled. I know it's basically the same program as the Child and Youth Worker one, but I'm still taking that when I'm done this one because it has more psychology programs in it and I want to upgrade to the University and take a Psychology program. But now I'm freaking out because I thought I'd be starting next week. Wrong, I start in two days.

The schedule is 1-6 Monday to Friday for two or three weeks and then is 8am-noon. It's just so overwhelming and so sudden. This means I'm unable to work any weekday shifts I got at work and I have to cancel therapy for the third week in a row now. I don't have a bus pass and it's four dollars a day in change without it. I have no school supplies either. I'm getting financial aid for tuition, but I have no money put away for textbooks. I also have to apply for the financial aid alone which I've never done before. My mom's usually come with me and helped me do that. I know I'm twenty now and I should do this stuff on my own, but it's just really scary.

I have to get immunized within thirty days which also costs money. Not to mention I'm terrified of being immunized and wasn't planning on doing that until next year. Gah! I'm really hoping this is all worth it though. A lot of people have gotten hired on after doing placement somewhere. It would be amazing to be able to work somewhere doing what I love to do.

I'm just hoping I can overcome all the anxiety I have about this and do a really good job!
September 18th, 2010 at 06:59pm