Fender-Bender

I've had my licence for a little over a year, passed my road test on the first try and I follow the rules.
So, today I went into town planned to get a few things and some groceries. There's literally construction everywhere I live right now. So no matter what route I pick, I'll hit construction traffic on the way to town. Today, I didn't mind because I wasn't on a time limit. After stopping at the mall, I went through more construction to walmart. It's all good, I'm calm, not in a rush, doing what I'm suppose to and going where I'm directed. Turn left into the parking lot at walmart, turn right into a lane to find a parking spot and WAM!

A split second before it happened, out of the corner of my eye, I saw something navy blue comming toward me. Then a bang and my car violently shoot along with me. A navy blue car had driven through empty parking spaces and hit me head on, on my passenger side. It felt like a big impact but by the damage of my car it wasn't to extreme, my airbags hadn't deployed, but it still frightened me. This woman was driving around the parking lot trying to calm her crying baby who had got shots while she waited for her boyfriend in walmart. I was in a daze, thinking, "Did this really just happen?" It was like, "That wouldn't happen to me." kind of moment. I hadn't really thought about what I would do if I was in an accident, just if I was pulled over by the police. After talking with the woman, I immediately called home. I know I should have called the non-emergency number but I didn't know it. I called home 3 times, no answer. Called my mother's cell phone, no answer. Turns out she had just got in the shower. So, I called my brother, crying in hysterics telling him I had got into an accident and didn't know what to do. So, he went and got my mother telling her it was an emergency. She told me to calm down, have a drink of water if I had any and I needed to talk to the other driver and trade information. By this time the boyfriend was back and the girlfriend left with the baby into the store. He told me that his girlfriend wasn't insured on his car yet and if I could tell my story as him being the driver, but quickly added in that I could tell it as It was. Well DUH! I'm telling it as it was. You may have co-operated with your information but I'm telling it how it was buddy.
My mom ended up calling the police for me and giving them my cell number. I told them where we were and soon an officer arrived. The boyfriend told me that he was going to go look for his girlfriend and gave me all his papers so when the officer came I could give them to him. And I did. I told the officer my side of the story and gave his both of our papers. When I was done he asked me for like the thousandth time if I was all right, told him i was just shaken up, and he said if I was able that I could go home. My brother was actually on his way so I was just going to wait for him. My car was drivable but for reasons I'm not really sure of, I asked if my brother could and I would drive my mothers van. I drove home like a granny, balling my eyes out the whole way.
My first car accident. Thank god it was only minor. I think I was so emotional because of the thought that I could have been way worse.
Not only did my car have a dent but the door on the top popped out so there's a gap. My brother stuffed garbage bags in it and taped it.
I asked if I'm going to have to go to court and he said yes and that it may take months. And because it was the other drivers fault all the damage cost would be covered.

I have work tomorrow and I'm kind of scared to get into my own car again..

If you're a driver. Please drive safe, follow the rules and be considerate of other drivers. It's scary sh*t no matter how minor.
September 23rd, 2010 at 02:48am