I feel so darn adult.

My parents aren't home right now. In fact, they haven't been home for a while. They left yesterday in the early morning and are coming back late tonight.

It's like I'm living alone, and I love it.

Not the freedom of it, actually. But the responsibility. I love the feeling of relying on myself to get myself in bed on time, up on time, ready and out the door. I mean, sure, I've been singing constantly. But I did the dishwasher and part of the laundry when I didn't even have to. I made myself eggs and a bagel for breakfast instead of just grabbing a granola bar, because I knew I wouldn't be able to eat lunch until pretty late.

Really, all of this responsibility stuff started when I got my license. My parents are the type that believe I should get rights, privileges and trust until I do something to get them taken away, instead of having to initially earn them. So I have my own car and I don't have to pay for gas, insurance, or any of the upkeep.

However, I get the responsibility of it. I drive to school--I have to make sure I'm awake enough to drive in the mornings, figure out when to leave to get there on time, including the possibility of the stupid train that runs through every second Tuesday. I have to keep track of my gas and my mileage. I have to figure out how to balance nice with not being a doormat (as in, "No, I won't bring you to school every day. You don't live anywhere near me." and "Sure, I'll give you a ride home today!")

None of my friends (at least my age) have their licenses. A few are just lazy, a few don't have the money for driver's ed, and one (my poor baby. :( ) worked his butt off to get his license--and then had a seizure, after which--by law--he can't be behind the wheel of a car for six months. So of course, my skills as a driver are a hot commodity.

And now I must get to church, then a college fair.
God bless.
<3
September 26th, 2010 at 03:44pm