Will you take some time to be a bit profound, today? (Opinions are a controversial topic... >.>)

D'you mind if I jump right in and get all profound? Get your brain-juices rolling? I promise that I'll let you jump down my throat and tell me all the way's I'm wrong after. I want feedback on this. (And please don't make me sit here alone, with no feedback, thinking that this is all over your heads. I know you're smarter than that.)

~~~~

Your morals define how you think, right? Your values control your ideas about the world. If you believe that pride means more than humility, than you are going to go about believing pride is the attitude to have. Then, the way you think controls your actions. You are going to walk through the world chock full of pride, and if you ever come across someone with a lot of humility, chances are you aren’t going to hold them with the same esteem as yourself. Then, your actions affect other people. Your attitude towards that person is going to hurt them. Correct? Basically, your most rudimentary morals affect the world as a whole. There is a lot of responsibility wrapped up in that. Your definition of right and wrong holds a lot of power over someone else’s life, someone’s chance of happiness. Who are you to treat that so lightly?

At the same time, consider that not every issue affects every one of us directly. There is no way that someone from Florida can be bothered by the snow plow’s schedule in northern Canada. Correct? Yet, it’s horrifying just how many people make it their business even though they hardly understand the consequences behind their beliefs. They’ve never experienced the issue first-hand. They have never awoken to a full-blown blizzard with a crucial conference in two hours, nor have they ever gotten up at two in the morning to drive out into the dangers of the darkness and extreme cold to fight with the undeniable forces of nature. Correct? So what makes these other people, who have never dealt with the issue at hand and who will never be bothered by the issue at all, think that they have the right to stick their noses in and make the right decisions? Truth is, they don’t. People generally believe that because they have the right to their opinion, they should immediately hold one on every topic and then voice it. Mind, though this is one, insignificant example, it can be applied to every controversial topic in the entire world. No matter what the issue, people automatically assume that their opinion should count for something, and that just because they have a thought, it should be voiced. Should it, though? Consider the responsibility that comes with it. Opinions are based on morals, therefore, they go hand-in-hand with responsibility. Voicing a thought comes with the ripples, with the resulting events. Someone will get hurt, regardless of the topic at hand. Someone will find reason to fear. Something will be forever changed. So is the mere act of voicing one insignificant opinion really worth it?

An individual rarely realizes the true impact of their words, thus there is no one to take responsibility. People often go through life throwing around ideas, but will never take the time to see the damage they leave in their wake. (Can ya'll think of a few examples? Hm? Anyone come to mind? Exactly.)

We think our words are free.
We think our morals are 'just a personal matter.'
We think our rights come with no strings attached.
We believe the world bows to our voice, and that this is the way it should be.

We couldn’t be more wrong.

Consider your words carefully, for you never know who you could be hurting.

Wield your power to instigate change with caution, for once something happens, the responsibility for what goes wrong rests on you.

(Disclaimer: This rant has absolutely nothing to do with Mibba. Seriously. Actually, it started out as a piece of fictional writing to be used in my novel. Then....it grew into a rant. Literally. Then I thought I would post it to see what people had to say about it. I'm curious. Go on, tell me how I'm wrong.)
October 5th, 2010 at 11:35pm