I don't Understand My Generation

Seriously. I just don't get it.

At my high school, it seems like the potheads and "drug-addicts" are the biggest, most popular clique. It's like drugs are the fall trend and everyone is wearing them. For some reason, it's cool to pop pills that could kill you and shoot toxins into your bloodstream. It's just the fucking coolest thing ever!
At my high school, the people who walk around with holes the size of soda cans in their ears are considered bad ass.
At my high school, the only thing people seem to care about is the Friday night parties and the drugs/alcohol/sex that's sure to be there.
At my high school, all the teachers are hated just because they're trying to help us have an OK future. Class is a joke.
At my high school, if you do your work, you're labeled as a nerd.
At my high school, it's acceptable to not give a fuck.

Am I the only one who gives a shit about my future? Don't these kids realize that their high school career is going to end soon and that they're about to enter the real world? The world where gages aren't bad ass, they just guarantee that you won't ever get a well-paying, respectable job. The world that requires you to respect someone every now and again. The world that won't laugh at your immature jokes, but instead laugh at how fucking stupid you are. The world where being a "drug-addict" isn't a rising trend and where people don't give a shit what you did over the weekend. They don't care who you had sex with. They won't listen to the story of how you got so high that you couldn't see straight and almost killed yourself by accident. And if they do, they aren't going to think you're cool. All they're going to see is exactly what you are: a low-life who can't afford to move out of their parents house and get a life of their own.

Don't they understand that the choices they make now is going to impact their future? I hope they start to, because unless that happens, these kids are in for a fucking rude awakening.

Unless you want to be that kid who never graduated and never accomplished anything other than holding in their smoke for a full minute, you better grow up. The real world is made up of more than Friday nights and low-lifes. And it's waiting for you just around the corner.
October 5th, 2010 at 11:49pm