Abortion. Just a few questions I need answered :)

Alright, before anyone kicks up a fuss about this being a journal about abortion: one of the deadly, forbidden topics here on Mibba, I just want to make it clear that this journal is not here for people to debate over what they think is right and get angry etc etc.

Anyone who starts an argument over their opinions gets their comment deleted, everyone has their own opinions about this and I totally respect that.

As some of you may know I have to prepare an English seminar to present to my class in a weeks time on a topic that is a big theme in a book we've read this year. I'm just a tad stressed out so I would like to put a few questions to you about abortion to see how you guys react, so I can see how the class might D:

I'm rather scared it'll cause some kind of argument, but they handled the girl who did religion really well. So I'm just glad they're pretty open minded :)

So my topic as you can tell is abortion, well Human Rights as whole but abortion as my main point. I'm using the book Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult. In this book the youngest daughter is born with a genetic bone disorder called Osteogenesis imperfecta, or some of you might know it as brittle bone disease. In her life time she will suffer thousands of breaks in her bones from doing the smallest of things, she can even break her ribs when she sneezes. Basically she will have a lifetime of pain.

In the book the mother learns that her her obstetrician should have been able to pick up this defect and warn her before the child was born so that she could properly judge whether or not she would have been able to look after it. And so she files a wrongful birth lawsuit against the doctor. Charlotte, the mother, loves her daughter, but needs the money to care for her and pay the medical bills etc.

The questions I pose are:

1. Are you pro-life or pro-choice?
2. Why?
3. What do you think would be your decision if you ever found out your baby could have a disability? (I understand it's hard to know without being in the situation, but just imagine)
4. What do you think your reaction would be if you were ever presented with the problem Charlotte has?
5. Do you think she is justified in this decision or just being greedy?
6. What do you think the laws about abortion should be? ie completely illegal, only legal in some cases etc
7. Do you actually know the laws in your part of the world?
8. Do you know someone who has ever had an abortion?

That's all for now I think, if you could answer these I would really appreciate it!! :)

xx
October 6th, 2010 at 11:17am