Haunted Memories

I remember very clearly the day grandpa left n August of 2008 to go to the hospital. He was only going for 3 days. Or, at least that's how long it was supposed to be.

I wasn't feeling well that day. For once I forgot to hug him goodbye. I thought of it. Really, I did. But, he took so long leaving and saying goodbye to Hunni (then called Lucky) that it slipped my mind until he was already out the door.

After he gets outside, though, I remember that I forgot. I think I should run out and hug him. I remember this was odd. I usually don't worry about things like that. But, this time I did. But, it was kind of wet outside and, as I said, I didn't feel well and he was going to be back in 3 days, anyway. So, even though I felt I really needed to run out and hug him while I still had the chance before he really did leave, I ignored it.

I remember even thinking I should go out and wait for the DAV van with him. To have a bit more time with him. I ignored this, too. For the same reasons, and because I had no idea how long or short the time before the van got there would be. What if it made me worse to stay out in the wet? It would be unnecessary. And he was going to be back in 3 days.

But, I kept feeling that intense tug and pull, anyway. One that I effectively ignored.

He never came home again and I have to remember all the chances I blew for one final hug and a last few several minutes with him, because I was too stupid and selfish. This is knowledge that will always haunt my memories.

I still remember what he said before he disappeared around the corner of the house, after leaving out the front door. "Bye. I'll see ya in 3 days." But, he never came home...
October 9th, 2010 at 06:19am