Poetry 180

Poetry 180 is a project started by the poet Billy Collins, meant to bring poetry to the every day. He believes that poetry is something that should be experienced on a regular basis, not just examined in classes.

Here is what he wrote for the introduction to the site:

Welcome to Poetry 180. Poetry can and should be an important part of our daily lives. Poems can inspire and make us think about what it means to be a member of the human race. By just spending a few minutes reading a poem each day, new worlds can be revealed.

Poetry 180 is designed to make it easy for students to hear or read a poem on each of the 180 days of the school year. I have selected the poems you will find here with high school students in mind. They are intended to be listened to, and I suggest that all members of the school community be included as readers. A great time for the readings would be following the end of daily announcements over the public address system.

Listening to poetry can encourage students and other learners to become members of the circle of readers for whom poetry is a vital source of pleasure. I hope Poetry 180 becomes an important and enriching part of the school day.


Sadly, many did not think that his project was important, or that it should be applied the way he thinks it should. In short, many don't think that poetry is important enough, or that it effects us deeply enough that it should have it's own time in our days.

I disagree. We used the poems on the site last year in my AP English class, and I think they're perfect even for those that do not generally like poetry. It has all kinds. Serious, romantic, humorous, or just genuinely disturbing. They're all there. There's something for everyone.

And, today, going back to that site made a mundane day feel a little bit better.

My favourite is still the poem I chose to read for class: Coffee In The Afternoon

I also found this one today, and I quite like it as well: Of Politics And Art

I know people rarely look at and comment on my journals, but I'll put this to you anyway. Take a look around, and read some poetry. Really take it in, and think about it.

Do you like the poem you clicked? Why or why not?

If you didn't like it, choose another. Then think about why you like the one you ultimately choose.

Poetry effects us all differently, and for different reasons. I'm curious to see why and how it effects you.
October 11th, 2010 at 07:46pm