Idiosyncrasies For NaNo?

You see, I used to think myself to be possibly and quite probably insane, but now I realize I am simply just a writer.

We all have our strange rituals and our ridiculous idiosyncrasies that get us through those long chapters when all we are doing is rewriting things that you have already re-examined in your head so many times it's a second nature to you now. These idiosyncrasies make us seem strange or even crazy to people who have never experienced the feeling of having a story stuck inside of their skull, waiting to be given life.

I suppose we are all Dr. Victor Frankenstein's of sorts, though I prefer not to be associated with him in anyway shape or form as I detest him almost as much as I detest Odysseus and I detest Odysseus invariably.

What got me thinking of these things is this http://blog.lettersandlight.org/post/1368959051/the-most-important-noveling-tools-ever

This article, blog post, whatever you'd like to call it made me realize I'm not nearly as strange as I like to think.

I am interested though, what are some of your strange things you do while writing or while preparing for NaNo?

I've been putting together a playlist (mainly dominated by Regina Spektor) for the past few weeks and I have also been looking through my notebooks for the perfect one and for the perfect pen.

Before I write I always need to be in comfortable clothes, but not like sweatpants and a t-shirt, but like a nice sweater dress or in my favorite pair of jeans. I also like to light at least one scented candle and I make sure my room/writing space is clean or else I get distracted.

I also have to be drinking hot apple cider, a pumpkin latte or some form of coffee.
October 25th, 2010 at 01:04am