Chocolate, stupidity, the Phil Collins/Disney marriage, and globalization.

I'm agonna be covering multiple points in this here loverly journal.

POINT ONE: Chocolate.

73% Cacao does wonders. I swear, in twenty minutes, I'm either going to be bouncing off the walls or horny as hell.

Too much info? Sorry.

POINT TWO: Phil Collins

I just wanted to share this wonderfully inspirational song.



It's a feel-good song, and I'm in the mood for lots of that (that, and chicken strips. But then, I'm always in the mood for those things). I love it when Phil Collins partners up with Disney. Magic happens. Tarzan, Brother Bear... Are there any others? :thinks:

POINT THREE: Easy A

A friend and I went to see this movie on Saturday. I must say, we laughed our *sses off. The entire theater did. It was amazing! It was so witty and quick-moving and frickin' perfect. That chick is my new hero. Ferreal. Go see it. I doubt you'll regret it.

If you have seen it, what did you think? The girl and her family are freaking brilliant, yeah?

Which leads into my next point.

POINT FOUR: How the US glorifies stupidity

Have you noticed how, turning on the TV, all you see on Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, and Nickelodeon is a ton of cartoons glorifying stupidity? For example, Nick's newest cartoon is a spin-off of Jimmy Neutron, a show that used to praise intelligence. This cartoon involves Sheen, the dumbest of the trio, as the main character. I sat through an episode this weekend. I regret it. I miss those brain cells.

Basically, our kids are growing up thinking that stupidity is a good thing. How can we expect to compete with countries like Japan, whose anime generally praises the use of a quick, well-balanced intelligence and personal strength...all under high pressure? Our kids aren't going to see a value in an education if they are taught that being stupid is funny, and therefore a good thing.

Okay, Spongebob is an older show. And yes, the two main characters are quite stupid, give or take a few occasions. But this show had a purpose. It was originally for adults, for one. College-age people. Second, it made fun of society and what was considered the 'norm' for these college-age adults. Having a crappy job at a fast-food joint, plodding through school, failing at every turn, having intelligent and stupid friends, meeting those people who seem to walk through life with a bundle of sticks up their butts, etc. Yes, that show had a purpose.

Now, Spongebob is marketed towards kids. And I believe that Spongebob and Patrick get stupider by the episode. -.-'

When we were little, we had shows like Scooby-Doo (and maybe the Rugrats, yes?) that taught us how to use our brains to solve problems. Then we had shows like Danny Phantom and Lizzie McGuire that taught us morals. But kids these days seem to have sparkly princess movies that gravitate towards ridiculously sterilized ideas of what life involves (e.g. absolutely nothing painful or difficult), or stupidity.

What is that teaching our kids??

Grrrrrrr.....

POINT FIVE: Globalization of our society

I absolutely adore how I can get music recommendations from people on the other side of the world. I love how I can be listening to my beloved Zune HD in the car and have five sequential songs come over the speakers, each in a different language. Hell, most of my music, I dunno what language it's in to begin with! XD (I think a lot of them are sung in either Latin, some form thereof, or a language made-up by the band! I know I have Icelandic, Japanese, Latin, Spanish, English, ...some other far-East language, and...you get the idea.)

And I love how I can talk to my bestest friend from middle school, who lives in a different state a thousand miles away every day. We talk to the point that we have nothing left to say, and the IM window goes still for hours. And yet, we know that the other is still there should we have anything to add.

And I love how I can make new friends, meet new people, and build contacts from other states, countries, continents that may someday come in handy! I learn so much about our world, this way. I discover things I could never have come across in school. My horizon is broadened a little more every day.

Thinking about how life went even fifty years ago--seeing the same two hundred people and knowing nothing new for possibly your whole life--makes my brain melt. I think I would have gone stark-raving mad before I hit twenty!

Does anyone else have a POINT SIX? I'd be happy to hear your ranting! S'long as it has a stroke of intelligence in it. I'm hereby going on a stupidity-strike, proving to the media that there are brains out here that they will NEVER MELT!!!

Bwahahahaha!!
October 26th, 2010 at 12:39am