Fat-phobia on Marie Claire

I just wanted to pass along a petition! I know, I know. Another one! Lol, sorry!

The petition is sparked by a post on Marie Claire's website. It's beyond ridiculous, entitled: Should "Fatties" Get a Room? (Even on TV?). And as you can probably assume already, it's very anti-overweight. Just take a look at exactly what this woman, Maura Kelly, has to say. It's the most jaw-dropping ridiculousness you'll ever expect to see on a site like this.

Ms. Kelly did issue an apology via an update to her post. However, it was half-assed at best and really wasn't an apology at all. Marie Claire has said that they do not intend to so much as discipline this woman for her audacity and inaccuracy, but that they and Ms. Kelly are pleased (yes pleased!) with the amount of feedback that they have gotten from her post, both e-mails directly to her, e-mails and comments to Marie Claire itself, and comments to the original post itself. They are pleased to have upset and enraged so many people. They are pleased that they've contributed to the bullying and hatred that assaults people of size every day and every night. Does that apology still sound at all sincere, if you were inclined to believe it at first reading? Yeah, not to me either.

This is a petition recently created for the removal of Ms. Maura Kelly from work at Marie Claire and affiliated companies. So much fat-phobia is going around and it's time we just say that this is more than enough. Its gotten beyond ridiculous and we are not going to allow this kind of hatred to be spread via so many gross and general misinformation, contributing to the misunderstanding of what unhealthy is, and what obesity is. Not to mention what normal is, what contributes to the problems of obesity, and the overall atmosphere of hate and bullying toward people of size.

I encourage everybody to check out the post, then the petition. If you want to sign, that would be great! If you don't, that's alright, too.

The post on Marie Claire: http://www.marieclaire.com/sex-love/dating-blog/overweight-couples-on-television

The petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/795/128/569/
October 28th, 2010 at 08:30pm