"The Rocky Horror Picture Show" Editorial

Patrick Kirk
CHS Chronicle

On Thursday, October 28th I saw an unforgettable play, The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Rocky Horror is a cult classic movie, remade into a play, with a tremendous amount of followers.
In the theatre I noticed quite a few audience members were dressed up in full costume. I thought the costumes were, to say the least, quite amusing. During “Over at the Frankenstein Place” the audience held their programs over their heads, I later found out that during that scene in the movie it’s raining and people hold newspapers over their heads, just like the characters in the movie do.
This cult classic has been passed on from generation to generation, parents pass this on to their teenage children, and so on.
One of the play’s songs, Time Warp, had a huge crowd reaction. I had heard that people would stand up and dance, but I didn’t expect practically the whole audience to “Do the Time Warp again.”
Richard O’Brien’s Rocky Horror was put on by Broadway Series South. The play was directed by Justin Smith, who played the lead role of Dr. Frank N’ Furter in 2006. Chiaki Ito is the musical director, who threw a rock n’ roll theme into the play’s music.
If there is a line in the play that best sums up what the play, and movie, was about, it would have to be Dr. Frank N’ Furter’s line “Don’t Dream It, Be It.” The movie was for all the outcasts and freaks. It was a place for all of the different people to come together and enjoy something amazing. That is what I believe the purpose of the movie and play really was.
This show isn’t really for everyone, maybe you should rent the DVD and watch it at home first, then decide whether or not to venture into the live audience.
November 5th, 2010 at 02:22am