For Everyone Who Feels, Or Has Ever Felt Discouraged.

Today, I realized something. I was having an IM conversation with a friend I met on the internet. He’s an aspiring techno musician, so he makes his music electronically and uploads it to YouTube and other sites. He’s really good, but unfortunately he isn’t getting a lot of attention at the moment. He’s been trying for a while with no luck, and obviously, this has started to discourage him. I can see why – I’m sure it’s the same for all of you when you spend hours and hours on a one-shot or a chapter and have very few readers and no comments. It is discouraging, it really is.

Anyway, my friend told me he was quitting music. That he was fed up of all the disappointment and anti-climax and he was going to stop stressing himself and just quit. Now, let me tell you something – I wasn’t having any of this. I’m a firm believer that if something makes you happy you shouldn’t quit. Unless lighting people’s houses on fire or something makes you happy. Then I would suggest quitting.

That aside, we got into a discussion about discouragement and the like, and I said something that I thought I would share with the rest of Mibba:

You think you can't do it? Getting what you want is never easy, man. You know why? If there's no challenge there's no satisfaction, and you'll take what you've achieved for granted. A tough road is life saying, "I'll give you this is you prove to me you're passionate enough to deserve it."

That’s a pretty wise comment for me, and I think it’s incredibly true. I’ve always believed in something like this, but it’s only now that I managed to put it into words that other people outside my mind would understand. Life is a challenge, people, and things don’t just drop into your lap. If you continue on, and you don’t give up at the first hurdle, or even the second or third or fourth etc, you will get there. Life will work out, because you’ve earned it. If it doesn’t happen, that’s not to say you don’t deserve it. It just means that it’s not for you, and even though you don’t think so at the time, something better is on its way.

Things aren’t perfect instantly. Coca-Cola sold only 400 bottles in their first year of production, but for years they struggled and now look at them. They’re the most recognized trademark in the world and turn over billions of dollars a year. This year, you might have one or two comments. In two years, it might be one or two hundred. In five years, it could easily be one or two hundred thousand, and on upwards after that.

I’ll leave you with a nice little true story that I always remember when I feel a little discouraged:

In 1962, four very nervous young men performed their first record label audition. The judge told them that he simply didn’t like their sound, and that “guitar groups are definitely on their way out”.

Not to be discouraged, The Beatles left the office, and continued to do what they loved.


Not everyone who thinks they’re an expert is right. No person who thinks their art will never make it is right. Difficult times will be difficult, haters will hate, but if you have the drive and the passion and the commitment, nothing will stop you. So go for it. Your journey only stops when you let it, so keep running.

On a side note, I’m in love with these lyrics, which could be semi-related:

It hurts just to wake up whenever you’re wearing thin

Alone on the outside, so tired of looking in

The end is uncertain, and I’ve never been so afraid

But I don’t need a telescope to see that there’s hope

And that makes me feel brave.


Off to go do more for NaNo,
xx Fionnuala xx
November 14th, 2010 at 10:53pm