SleepSleepSleep. Homophobia?

"Are you homophobic?" was a question asked today in one of my classes by a student.

"What? No. Why would I be afraid of gay men if I'm a girl?" And that was how my social studies teacher reacted to it. She responded like... like it was common sense. And it is, really.

I know that people misunderstand the concept of "homophobia" these days. In fact, it's so commonly and frequently misused that it has turned into something different entirely. Being homophobic means being afraid of homosexuals, hence the word 'phobia'. It does not necessarily mean hatred towards a gay individual, and I fully understand that (though I don't agree with it. At all.).

But the thing is... fear itself is a dangerous thing. It can so easily turn into something vicious. Because from fear spawns hate. And hate, in most cases, is the root of the problem.

So does that mean... that homophobia really is hatred when you get down to the very bottom of it? And how easy is it to classify someone as homophobic?

Well, I'd say just about as easy as it is to slap a label on someone and call them out for being 'hipster', 'emo', or even a 'fag'.
-

Anyway, on a completely unrelated and irrelevant note, school is killing me right now.
Only not really.
I just.
Can I...

can I just sleep forever?
November 19th, 2010 at 10:58pm