If you know who this is, I love you. (There's got to be some Gaslight fans on here, surely).

Image

I really hope someone on here knows who he is. No one I know does, and so trying to get them excited that I met him last night was rather difficult. (Rather unattractive picture of me though, hah)

If you're wondering, he's called Brian Fallon, and he's the singer and guitarist for the band The Gaslight Anthem, who were playing in Manchester last night.

Image

Their show was fantastic. The support acts were the best I've ever seen apart from when I saw Frank Turner and Joan Jett supporting Green Day.

I love seeing bands play that enjoy playing. If they've got a rock star persona then fair enough (though, to quote Frank Turner, "There's no such thing as rock stars, there's just people who play much and some of them are just like us and some of them are d*cks"), but I would much rather see someone who looks like they are happy to be there when they play there upbeat songs, who looks like they mean it when they play there more sad songs, and who looks out into the crowd and into their fans' eyes, than a bunch of guys onstage fanning themselves with their own egos.

I'm glad to say Gaslight are in the first category, they put their whole hearts into their songs. And I was shown their dedication to their music and their fans after the gig, when they came out to meet the people who had waited for them.

Image

They all came out to meet us and Brian must've spent at least 10 minutes with each little group of fans. When he got to me I was all shaky with nerves and standing in a freezing puddle in the Mancunian air in November at midnight, so I barely stumbled out how I thought the show was great and he looked me in the eyes and told me thanks. Then we took the
picture that's at the top and he gave me a hug and I mumbled thanks into his shoulder.

I apologise for yet another sappy post about a concert (hey, at least it was a proper concert this time) and I should really get some sleep, as I've had practically none this weekend thanks to the concert and Harry Potter. I don't regret either of them at all, so the tiredness is worth it.

xx Helen
November 21st, 2010 at 10:45pm