A Supernatural journal post: a theory about Sam's soul to consider. (What do you think?)

* I do not claim any sort of credit to this theory. I’m providing a link to where I found it. I just wanted to talk a little bit more about it here because I liked the sound of it.

So I was just browsing through FanFiction.Net and I came across this story, “Keeper of Souls”. It’s a short story about them trying to find Sam’s soul, and I was actually surprised with where they found it. I’m going to give a brief summary of it here, but if you’d rather just read the story for yourself, then you can just skip this.

Crowley didn’t end up having Sam’s soul, he was just being an ass. Castiel brought Balthazar into the picture and asked if there had been any deals made for Sam’s soul. There had been tons, but he didn’t know where it was, either.

Soon, they started brainstorming, trying to figure out how to narrow down the search for it. Balthazar stated that it wasn’t in the cage, or even anywhere in Hell. Castiel clarified that it wasn’t possible to protect it Heaven, so it wasn’t there. Castiel went a little further, saying that Sam’s soul could only be contained in something of its equal or likeness: “It works the same way as trying to pour new wine into an old bottle. The bottle and wine have to age together or the bottle will shatter, ruining the wine. The container would have to be something that has also known evil, wrong choices, and redemption…” (chapter two)

With this, Castiel and Balthazar look at Dean. They were suggesting that Sam’s soul was inside Dean, and it ended up being true. Once Sam was released from the cage, his soul escaped with him and tried to find familiarity. That familiarity ended up being Dean, and it was tucked away safely right next to Dean’s soul. Dean had been a little bit more emotional ever since the end of season five, and they assumed that was because of Sam’s soul being inside of him.

It sounds like a really good theory, the more I think about it. It brings me back to the episode where Sam and Dean find Ash, and Ash implies that they’re like soulmates. Well, what if that’s what happened? Sam’s soul transferred to Dean, and Dean’s like his soul’s keeper.

But again, I don’t take credit for this idea. It all belongs to CeCe Away on FanFiction. and while I’m at it, I’d recommend reading more of her stories. They’re all quite amazing. “My Hellhound” is my favorite story by her.

---

What do you think of the theory? Like it? Hate it?
What are your theories on the concept of Sam's soul? How do you like the season so far?
November 29th, 2010 at 01:20am