SHHHHH! We can't talk about that, they might be a(n) _______

...Deist?
...Athiest?
...Christian?
...Black? White? Mexican?

Yup, it's about censorship. I think that journals are a place to share opinions with the world, so here is mine (bear with me, it is in fact related): creationism ought to be taught in schools. As a statement of opinion, that is not necessarily a political complaint, nor is it entirely a point to be looked over. It's a common argument. Why do schools teach evolutionism, or "Darwinism," but not creationism?

I know the counterarguments. Public schools can't be seen to indoctrinate kids with religion in any way (church & state separation, yaddah yaddah); therefore, because creationism has to do with (a) God, it can't be taught, big no-no, just 'real' science allowed. Some people may be offended by a teacher telling them about a theory involving a supreme being. Parents may not want their kids exposed to that. Professional, well-educated scientists do not - in most cases - encourage it.

However, think about this. Though I personally am a devout Christian and believe Creationism, technically it IS just a theory, no different than Darwinism. The Big Bang & evolution thereafter can't be "proven" any more than creation can be "proven"; both have quantifiable evidence of some sort, both are supported by respected citizens, etc. The list goes on. If public schools were to teach Creationism and still be politically correct, why not teach it like this:
"Creation: the Earth, the Universe and all the parts therein may have been created by a superior, intelligent being; intelligent meaning, with volition, knowledge, and emotion."
That's all a teacher would have to ask for on the test, with a little history as to how this theory came to be, etc. The interpretation of it would be left to the kids; let them choose whether they like it or not, just the same as everything else they learn.

To be clear, again, I am Christian, happy to say so. But this is not a statement of opinion just because of that; I am not on this side of the argument solely due to my religion. I think that if education was truly fair, if it was truly attempting to give children knowledge to use, it should also make an attempt to examine every side of such major arguments like "How did the Universe begin?", equally as much as something like "Which came first: the chicken or the egg?"

After all, "Stuff just doesn't appear out of nothing. Nothing comes from nothing." Think about it.

We did a science experiment in a biotech class I took involving studying the muscle proteins of various types of a certain species of fish in order to compare their evolution relative to environment and time. I performed the experiment, did the required work, but when I asked the teacher what I was supposed to learn if I didn't really believe in "evolution" per se, her response that we were just looking at change over time. Not much of an answer.

I'm not sure about Darwin's ideas; animals probably have changed a little since God first put them here. Who can say for sure but God? But my teacher's response is a classic example of how taboo that sort of thinking is in our educational system. (I loved that class and all I learned therein, for the record.)

I agree that teachers should not be free to teach their own opinions as fact; that yes, there is a certain line to be drawn in the sand about where Church & State simply cannot interfere with each other; that each child in the public schools should be free to formulate their own opinions. However, on this I firmly stand: every Theory ought to be officially recognized as such and taught alongside all the rest, or else our system is lacking in substance and true value of education.

Creationism Vs. Darwinism/Evolutionism. I'm not asking you what side you're on, or whether or not you think of it politically; rather, how do you address this? Or is it even an issue for you?
December 3rd, 2010 at 04:11am