On turning 18, and how it's (no) different from 17.

I woke up on Friday morning feeling the same as I do every morning. I rolled out of bed, tried to stop my hair from sticking up, and got dressed for school. Of course, something happened that doesn’t (usually) happen on a day-to-day basis -- I received gifts. It was a card I received from my English teacher that came as a slap to the face, and I’ll forever carry those words with me… ‘Welcome to adulthood. Now you have to learn to remain childlike.’ At the end of the day, though, I seriously pondered the difference between now (being eighteen) and the days before (being seventeen), and I found that not many things changed. I don’t look any older. I didn’t magically get my driver’s permit. I still can’t reach the top shelf above the oven. I wasn’t handed a job… Overall, the changes seem rather mediocre. Let’s take a look at them.

I’m considered a legal adult. That’s true. I can’t be called a child anymore, in a literal sense, because I’m not. Tada! I’m eighteen now, and the government declares that I’m an adult! Well, that didn’t take much effort.

I can buy cigarettes. The only difference between now and then is that I can legally purchase them. I don’t smoke, so this advantage is void. I guess I could buy cigarettes for other people, but that’s not exactly legal. I’d rather not be fined (or thrown into jail).

I’m able to register to vote, and vote! This is a big one, I guess. I’m not all-too into politics, though, but I’m excited to receive my voter’s registration card… the Democrats seem pretty unpopular at the moment.

I can work at a casino and/or bar, but I can’t gamble and/or drink. I’ll have to wait until I’m twenty-one until I can do that. At least I can buy lottery tickets, right?

I’m able to party at a club. There’s no longer any need to conjure a fake ID (yeah right), or have an in with the bouncer. I’m not much of a partier, anyway.

I can buy plane/train/bus tickets without parental supervision, and I can buy M-rated games (as if people actually card you when you buy video games). I can also leave the country without needing parental consent. Well, once someone supplies me with the money to travel, maybe this will actually be an advantage.

I can buy condoms and other sex-related material (including a porn subscription). It would help if I was actually a) interested in sex (which I’m not -- go virgins!) or b) interested in porn (which I’m not -- disgusting).

That’s just a brief overview of a few of things that I can now, legally, do. I used to think turning eighteen was a big deal. Now, with graduation and college on the near horizon, I realize that adulthood isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be. Not much is different… in fact, I’d wager a large bet that everything is, basically, the same… aside from the fact that I can stay out past curfew (but I’d rather not end up raped and/or dead).
December 20th, 2010 at 09:20pm