Conservative dad.

So, my father has always been a conservative republican. He voted for Bush and McCain and hates Rachel Maddow.
Yet he has always been supportive of me. His car isn't plastered with GSA stickers or anything, but he welcomed all my (gay) friends and treated them the same as he treated my brothers (straight) friends.
But he supports DADT. He doesn't think gay marriage should be legal (not for religious reasons though).
There was some preview for a comedy, where in the first version the guy had said "That's gay. Not in the homosexual way, but in the 'my parents are chaperoning the prom' way."
They edited it out of the preview, but when I told my dad about the first version, he said "I thought it was pretty funny."
I didn't say anything.
"They all need to stop being to sensitive about it," he scoffed. "Stupid."
Um, using it in a negative way is not going to move us forward dad. It's ignorant and negative.
He also keeps getting mad at me when I try to open doors for guys or if I try to let a guy go through first. I open the door for everyone and give everyone the right of way. It's being considerate. There's hardly ever been a guy who will actually go through the door, but it's still being considerate. He always yells at me to "Act like a girl! Just go through the door... You have the right of way! If a guy opens a door for you, go through it. Don't try to open doors for guys!"
Maybe it pisses him off, but hell, I'm going to keep opening doors for everyone penis or not. But god forbid I emasculate a big strong man, eh?
December 30th, 2010 at 05:54am