Um... Did That Just Happen?? (Hit By A Car)

Today was my first day back in university for my winter semester. Well, it was supposed to be my first day. I normally have a bus transfer on my way to school, but today it was incredibly nice out (for an Alberta winter) so I decided to walk the last eight blocks instead of waiting ten minutes for my next bus.

I see now that this is where I went wrong.

I was walking along on my merry way, thinking about how maybe mornings aren't really so bad (I am pretty much the anti-morning person normally), and I came up to an intersection. I saw that little white light on the other side, indicating that it was safe for me to cross. How wrong you were, little white man!!!

I was about a third of the way into the intersection when it happened. I had my headphones in, but all of a sudden I heard people on the sidewalk behind me yelling. Then I hit the ground. I just kind of sat there for a second in shock. Then I realized that I was covered in mud, so I started to get up. The woman that was driving stuck her head out of her car and asked if I was okay. I just kind of looked myself up and down, then said, "...yeah, I'm okay..."

Then I noticed that the little white man had turned to a little red hand, and I dumbly walked to the sidewalk. The woman drove away. I didn't even have the chance to get her license plate number, let alone her insurance. I get that it was a busy intersection, but really? Come on, lady, you just hit someone!

Nobody else asked if I was okay, or offered to help me up, or anything like that. What if I had been truly injured? Anyway, I called my sister and got her to come and pick me up, as I was covered in mud and kind of stunned. Then I just sat there, and still nobody asked if I was alright.

Now my knee hurts, and I think that it was the part of my body that hit the pavement first. It's swollen, but I can put all my weight on it. I might get it checked out when my sister gets home from work.

So instead of sitting in a classroom right now, I'm sitting on my couch and keeping my leg elevated. I'm scared that my mom will call and ask how my first day went. I'm sure to be in trouble because I didn't get that woman's information. But I wasn't really thinking clearly. I mean, I had just been hit by a freaking car.

On my way home, all I could think about was that Dane Cook joke about watching someone get hit by a car. I feel like it's not as funny in real life. Actually, it's still pretty funny, but also a bit painful and shocking.

That was my day so far. I'm taking it as a great big neon flashing sign from the universe that I am meant to sleep in and be lazy. Then I would not be in these situations. I also think that this should give me a pass for something bad that may happen to me in the future. I should be able to just look towards the heavens and be like, "Dear God, I am about to get mauled and eaten by a grizzly bear. Please stop this from happening. I got hit by a car, so, you know, you owe me this."

So... how are you? Ever been hit by a car? I really hope not. It's not fun.
January 5th, 2011 at 06:19pm